Do typefaces really matter?

"The problem is you're watching a film and you notice a sign. You realise that the letterforms are 20 years later than the era the film is supposed to be set in."

Has anyone ever experienced that?
I do have a knack for spotting inconsistency errors but I fail at recognizing typefaces...

Onartis said:
Has anyone ever experienced that?
I do have a knack for spotting inconsistency errors but I fail at recognizing typefaces...

nope, i wouldnt even recognise what font it is never mind when that font was made lol

yeah was a good article, I too loved the bit about 'threw up in my mouth a little bit', I remember when I went to watch it... I saw the subtitles and thought 'omg, papyrus... seriously >.<'

An obsession with typefaces may even be reducing our productivity, he warns.

And yet being un-obsessed can have a profound effect on whether your work is perfect or merely mediocre. I wouldn't call myself obsessed.. however I do find myself getting insanely annoyed at the iPhones battery % meter on the iPhone 4. Has anyone else noticed the 1 and 4 look over-weight compared to the other numbers? It just frustrates me.. and I have no idea why.

Papyrus is the go-to font when a restaurant wants to make itself look exotic and intriguing! It's definitely a high-street font. I have to say I didn't notice it when I saw Avatar - my eyes were too busy boggling at the 3D spectacle - but had I noticed I would've sniffed a little in disapproval. But then again, I guess it suits the context of the film.

I agree that poor font consideration can unhinge a design but also find myself font-frozen - although I only have the standard fonts packaged with Adobe CS to choose from. Even more daunting is if you're buying a new font for a specific project and have to shell out trusting that you've made the right choice. That's where you really need to do your homework. Also, there's so much choice out there that you really need to keep abreast of new releases and recommendations.

Back