Do I stick with Wordpress or start from scratch?

Tony

I am wondering which is the best way to go. I had someone helping me with my site who suggested using Wordpress and helped me install it and my site is now a WP site.

Unfortunately that person has now pretty much disappeared leaving me in some sort of website limbo and I'm unsure of what to do next.

Being a complete coding noob I know how to do little regarding changing the appearance of the site beyond the WP CP. By that I mean background colours and removal of search options.

So what would people recommend, getting someone to edit and code my WP site or start from scratch and get a site coded without WP?

Why is WP so popular and why should I stick with it?

Learn CSS. Whether you use Wordpress or not, you'll never be able to change the appearance if you don't know CSS.

EDIT: just saw your other topic, but the latter part of my comment still stands.

Learn CSS? That sounds easier said than done. Any tips of where to start? Apart from breaking my site.

Also can you answer the WP questions?

Learning CSS is actually just as easily done as it is said. Not hard at all.

As for WordPress, if I were you I would stick with it at this point since you don't have any coding experience. As for changing the appearance, go search for some themes, they're pretty simple to install, no coding necessary.

Where are you stuck in WordPress? To answer your last question, WP is so popular because of how straightforward it is. The learning curve is rather flat.

Tony said:
So what would people recommend, getting someone to edit and code my WP site or start from scratch and get a site coded without WP?

Why is WP so popular and why should I stick with it?

Stick with it. There's no point in re-inventing the wheel. Even good coders would take a long time to implement a fraction of what WP can do, the result is likely to be inferior and leave you down a distant dead end when the bespoke code gets abandoned.

At least with something like WP, it's established, evolving and there are plenty of people around who understand it and can work with it.

Monroe said:
Learning CSS is actually just as easily done as it is said. Not hard at all.

On the surface it is. The basics of CSS declarations are fairly straightforward but gaining a thorough understanding of how it all fits together and how to correctly structure your selectors and markup requires a much deeper understanding and a fair amount of experience. It's easy to code CSS, but it is even easier to code CSS badly, creating front-end code which is difficult to maintain, has poor cross-browser compatibility and weak accessibility.

I see a lot of really bad CSS/markup from people who have been coding it for years...

Back