Do I change my freelance name?

NFB

I've been working as a freelance graphic designer for about a year now under the name of 'folded pixel Design studio'

I'm wanting to incorporate my illustration which is very different to the corporate design work I do. I don't feel the illustration fits in with the 'pixel' part of the name.

Should I change my business name to my actual name or leave it as it is?
I don't know what's best and having to change my emails, website, branding etc isnt a quick fix.

What does everyone else call their design businesses?

I've been struggling with the same thing recently.

I call myself a "Designer Illustrator" and although the two mix it's not that great for marketing yourself.
What I have found is that as far as names go at least, Illustration is kind of seen as the person that's doing it so most use their own name or some alias.
Maybe because people regard illustration as a more crafted thing.

People seem to like seeing design under a corporate type tag.

Nothing wrong with doing both under the same umbrella but it 'may' be better to market them separately.
That's what I intend to do anyway.
Two site's with a different personalities.
One more design orientated and the other leaning towards illustration.

The way I see that, is find out what's cropping up in Google more often, then run for that. Use something like keyword tool.

There's not much point in ranking for "illustrator" if nobody is searching for it. That said, I'm sure people will be searching for it.

Another thing to consider is which type of work you enjoy doing the most. If you like doing illustration work more, go for it. If you're not so bothered by it, just stick with what you have. As you have "studio" in the name - I think people will be thinking you have a variety of areas you work in, and no harm having illustration as one of them to be honest.

I think that it is best not to change your freelancing name because a lot of clients might know you with that name and if your will change your freelancing name it will make it difficult for the clients to find you. You should create a separate profile for the new name that you have selected that way you will not have to worry about changing the name.

Back