Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirectX XP issue any help or ideas, pleeeeeaaasse

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Jazajay, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Right I have recently re-installed windows XP Pro.
    Since reinstalling it I cant get ~
    1. The head phones to work.
    Sound card built in.

2. Any games to work, pretty sure it's a DirectX issue as Call of duty4 brings up ~
    DirectX encountered an unrecoverable error,

and no games old or new will play, they just keep crashing the second you go to load them up.

Any ideas?
    I've tried re-installing direct-x, and my speakers work fine.

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

been a while since I used xp but it sounds like you need to get the motherboard drivers either from the manufacturer or the cd that came with it.

I would even guess that it's an nvidia based board as that was what I had trouble with :(
  3. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

I woudl definatly check that first ^^^ what Levi said. Check that all drives for the device are running ok. Is it an external sound card is it the motherboards sound card?
  4. Levi

it's a built in sound card
  5. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Thanks guys I'll have a look at that over the weekend and let you know how I get on, very much appreciated.

Jaz :)
  6. br3n

br3n Senior Member

7. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Yeah I've tried cheers, I'm going to re-reinstall windows again tomoz and see if that fixes it. Cheers for the ideas ppl. :)
  8. Levi

just had a thought. Before you reinstall try running a dx diagnostics and see if it picks up any issues.

Stick dxdiag.exe in run and press ok, if theres an error post it here for us
  9. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

device drivers, open the case up and make 100% sure the card model..thats all it can be really..also what version of Windows is it running? Ie XP Pro? Home which is it?
  10. Levi

first post says xp pro :)
  11. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Hay peeps,
    Sorry been dead busy and this has had to wait, cheers for the responses.

Right I've run it and it says DirectX is fine but under display I get this ~

# The system is using the generic video driver. Please install video driver provided by the hardware manufacturer.
    # To test DirectDraw functionality, click the "Test DirectDraw" button above.
    # Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer.

Now my video card, for the moment 1 of the next things I'm going to update, is built in.
    The motherboard is MSI. Just looked my board up and it says it has live update 4 with it, which installs the latest drivers, bios updates etc... etc....

Anyone have any idea on how I check this as I don't think it's working.

The problem happened after I re-installed windows everything was working fine the day before I did it. It is Windows XP Pro.

Cheers peeps, much appreciated. :)

12. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Right okay downloaded the live update, and it's flagged up the missing drivers I think. It's just crashed, lol, so I'll try and see if this fixes it, got a good feeling this time, TBH. I'll let you know if it does.
  13. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Right so I've installed 2 of the 3 drivers those being VIA chipset drivers and the VIA Lan drivers but when I try to install the VIA VGA driver, setup starts and I get No compatible hardware was detected (Err -21). Now the graphic card is built in so anyone have any ideas on how I get round this?

Would reinstalling windows fix it?
    Would buying a graphics card work, as that is my next thing for this PC, if so any fix for the next few weeks or so?

Also when I go to start Rome total war and COD1 I get a Can not find directx re-install it to fix this error, which I have done several times. :mad:

Any ideas, I really don't care how far out either. :cry:
  14. Levi

Are you sure the gpu is a via one. You got a link to the motherboard model and I'll try and find you the required drivers.

Another option is to shove the cd which came with it in and try to find the drivers on that.
  15. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

I've decided to go for the windows re-install option TBH, nothing else to do for the next 10 hours. :cry:

Yeah thats what the MSI's own software detected so guess so, I'll let you know if that fixes it, for a direct x issue it bloody should do.
  16. Levi

I'll send you a pm with my msn addy, you should get me for most of the afternoon if you need me.