Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dipping my toes in the water

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by Christopher Rodger, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Christopher Rodger

Christopher Rodger New Member

Hi everyone,

I’m brand new to the world of Graphic Design. So, hopefully I’ve came to the right place to find inspiration and direction.

My motivation for learning more about Graphic Design is that I think it would really help me to pin a theme on my other hobby which is music production. At the moment I come up with ideas, but there’s no visual content to establish anything about me as an artist.

I would love to investigate the theory behind developing a good logo, colours which complement the music I create, typography which complements the genres I work with, etc.

I do have a bit of background in Art & Design, I done well with the subject at High School, and left it there. It’s been 6 or 7 years since I done any serious doodling, painting or written work in relation to art.

I’ve watched one or two videos, but I find learning to be a bit difficult when there’s no way to get feedback on ideas (fingers crossed I can do that here).

If anyone has any tips on where I should start based on what I’ve said already, I’d be happy to hear them.

2. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum. I would suggest you pick a song and just try and interpret it visually. How does it make you feel? Is it a dark song, is it fast and aggressive, is it happy and uplifting? What visual elements can you use to convey those feelings?

Also, check out Hard Format for some brilliant, eclectic LP covers.
  3. Christopher Rodger

Christopher Rodger New Member

That might make for an interesting little project to get started. Picking some of my favourite tracks by established artists, writing about those tracks and then interpreting those ideas visually. Thanks for the tips :)

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum.