Digital Media and Flash designers please look here.

Masonio

Hi all, first post here, i'm new and liking what i have seen so far.

I have a question that i hope some people who currently work as digital media designers or anyone who knows a little about flash could help me out with.

I have been looking for a job for the past 3-4 month's, and i am an Interaction Designer who graduated last year, i managed to score an interview with an Integrated Design studio based in central London. Below is the job spec that they posted on the job website.

We require an immediate start for a junior digital designer with HTML and flash skills.

Ideally you will have recently graduated from university with a great portfolio and are looking for an opportunity to break into the industry.

You will have a strong knowledge of HTML/XHTML, CSS and Web standards. Plus, you will be a dab hand at Flash. You will also know your way around Photoshop & Illustrator.

If you are interested in this opportunity and want to be part of a creative team, you dont mind getting your hands dirty, and want to work on some great clients, please forward your CVand your 3 best bits of work (2mb file max please) to email.

Please note: No calls. No agencies, especially no agencies who say 'they know me and will know what i want.'

This is the email i got back, and what i'm really wondering is what are your thoughts on what i could possibly be asked to do regarding Flash, i have used Flash loads of times but never done any actionscript work, only animations really.

First of all thanks for your application and i would like to get you along for an interview.

As you are probably aware the world has gone mad and the economy bonkers so, the financial people in the business have told me, that i need to ensure any new person we get in as to be perfect - which i am sure you are!

You need to be able to hit the ground running - fast - and get stuck in straight away. So, as part of the interview, you will also be asked to do a simple HTML/flash exercise with one of our designers, before you and i sit down for a chat!

Can you make tuesday 17th at 12pm? Please email with response.

So what do you think the simple flash exercise could be?

For anyone wondering my portfolio is Masonio Creative Design.

Any help is appreciated,
Masonio.

Last edited:
Hi Masonio

You are worrying too much about it- relax ;)

I can feel you so want the job, but do you want a job that you cannot handle?
I am sure your answer is NO... So just be yourself and show what you can do as well as express interest in learning what you cannot do.

Make it there on Tuesday with a big heart and stay calm and give it a smile.

When I recruit for my business, I look for much more than computer geeks... I look for people I can actually work with day in day out. I look for people I'd enjoy having a laugh with at the end of a hectic day. After all, I look for people with common sense!

Good luck!

Hi Masonio

You are worrying too much about it- relax ;)

I can feel you so want the job, but do you want a job that you cannot handle?
I am sure your answer is NO... So just be yourself and show what you can do as well as express interest in learning what you cannot do.

Make it there on Tuesday with a big heart and stay calm and give it a smile.

When I recruit for my business, I look for much more than computer geeks... I look for people I can actually work with day in day out. I look for people I'd enjoy having a laugh with at the end of a hectic day. After all, I look for people with common sense!

Good luck!

Salvador, thanks for the quick reply and amazing advice, i'll definitely keep this in mind!

Don't worry about the test

Don't worry about the test, just do your good work, and in case you are rejected don't be dissappointed keep trying, you will definitively get the job.

So keep trying and don't ever lose hope.

Masonio - how did it go?

Hi, i attended the interview yesterday, i had been revising lots of flash AS3 commands and techniques for the past couple of days so i made sure i would be prepared for anything.

When i got there i sit down and spoke with the creative director, he says he doesn't need to see my portfolio, he already looked at it and liked what he saw, he said he's confident i could do the job, then he says he wants me to do a quick test and that if i can do what i say i can do it will be really simple.

I follow him into the office and meet one of the designers and they sit me down at a PC with dreamweaver, they show me a simple website layout in Photoshop and they have already cut it up, and they want me to rebuild it in dreamweaver with CSS and XHTML, well i did my best, i didn't finish it in 20 minutes but i showed my CSS skills and can only hope that i did good enough.

It was a big shock and i think i could of done better if i thought i would be doing HTML instead of AS3 lol, all of a sudden i had to forget all the AS3 shit in my head and start remembering all the CSS commands, i could barely remember the command to refer to a style sheet on the HTML page but eventually figured it out, but it ate a bit of my time which was annoying.

Overall it was a good interview and good interview experience and i'll be sure to let you guys know if i get the job.

Back