Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you know?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by berry, Jul 22, 2009.

1. berry

berry Active Member

Thought I'd create a thread for utter factual nonsense, some valuable, most only useful to quiz buffs. But hey, it's all about learning....

Did you know Hulk was originally Grey not Green.

B&Q are the initials of its founders, Block and Quayle

The name Wendy was first used in JM Barrie's Peter Pan.

Alexander Graham Bell never phoned his wife or mother because they were deaf.

English sailors came to be called Limeys after using lime juice to combat scurvy.

An exocannibal eats only enemies. An indocannibal eats only friends.

2. to add to the list...

Being called a Pome (while being in New Zealand or Australia) is incorrect as it stands for Prisoners of Mother England.... it comes from when Australia was used as for british prisoners.

3. br3n

br3n Senior Member

I heard it was prisoners of her magisty... pohm.

4. berry

berry Active Member

oohhh a debate!

5. captainrage

captainrage Senior Member

I thought it was pom from pomegranate.

Edit--
    That is what the old man says.. And he's usually right.

6. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Pommie comes from the red pom-pom worn by Royal Navy sailors.
    These are the chaps that transported the badduns down to Oz.

Shortened to Pom of course.

The word 'posh' goes back to the wealthy folks position on a ship.
    Portside out, starboard home.

Don't know about Becks though.

7. Thewholehogg

Hmmm, next you will believe we really landed on the moon! ;)

Now there's a debate...did we go?

Real life Capricorn One?:cry:

8. berry

berry Active Member

AH!!!! lets start that one please, I love this theory.

Nearly as good as the search for Micheal Jackson nose.

9. SamC

SamC Junior Member

Sorry Typo, like GOLF (gentlemen only, ladies forbidden) and some others that slip my mind this isn’t true and has been retrospectively constructed. It was believed that this was stamped on P&O tickets but no proof has ever been found.

However I shall add a couple of my own up for scrutiny;

If you place the top of a pineapple in a saucer of water it will grow into a new pineapple.

The main ingredient in Jaffa Cakes isn’t oranges it’s Apricots.

The reason we drive on the left hand side of the road is because of the abundance of right handed folks. When we all rode horse’s the natural side to draw your sword from the left side and attack your enemy on the right.

I’m sure i can think of some more - just not now, I have wine to consume, and potatoes to devour.

10. tim

tim Senior Member

carrying on...

timmp rhymes with gimp?

11. br3n

br3n Senior Member

I thought we drove on the right because of jousting - similar to the sword theory, probably the same infact.

I know a Jaffa cake is legally a cake and not a biscuit, Government look mcvitties to court because taxes are higher on biscuits. McVitties won on the basis a cake goes hard when stale where as a biscuit goes soft :p

12. tim

tim Senior Member

that's just plain cool!

13. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Lol that's interesting Bren :)

Did you know
    The electric chair was invented by a dentist?
    Gravity keeps mountains from growing higher than 15000 meters?
    "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" includes all 26 letters of the alphabet.

14. Did you know that the electric fence was invented in New Zealand as well as the speedboat :p and through much contention the New Zealanders invented the Pavlova... :lol:

15. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Did you know Apple is offering a new warranty due to the great amount of iPhones being thrown at a piece of wood? :lol:

16. Thewholehogg

Ironically there is an iPhone app called 'Knock on Wood' ;)

Treat your kit with respect in future.

17. Tom Sound

Tom Sound Active Member

Whaaaaat? :lol:

18. SamC

SamC Junior Member

Tom it's true! although it does take a long time - How to Grow a Pineapple - wikiHow

Br3n - that's also the reason why Jaffa Cakes are placed in the biscuit aisle in supermarkets...

Oh I've thought of some more - Stewardesses is the longest common word you can type (touch-typing) using your left hand on a keyboard and typewriter using only keys from the top row.

Uranus was going to be called George's Star after King George III but this wasn't popular outside of britain so it was changed to uranus

Between them the Curie family have won 5 nobel prizes.

i'm now worried by the amount of trivia i know.

19. Ok .. here's one from my old Radio show.. so I apologise for its awfulness..

If you had an full glass bottle style bottle of tomato ketchup and held it upside down with the lid off it would leave the bottle at 42 miles per year :lol:

20. tim

tim Senior Member

seriously?