• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Desktop or Laptop?

Hi All,

Right about 4 months ago my laptop kicked the bucket. I've been borrowing my housemates since then which is also dying (I'm cursed!), so I've got to find myself a new computer.

Thing is, I'm properly skint...............

Desktop or Laptop?

Wondered what people's thoughts are on getting a desktop pc - loss of freedom to work in different places etc?

Stationery Direct

Administrator
Staff member
Depends if you need to be able to work all over, if this is the case then you know the answer.

Personally I have both but MUCH prefer my desktop pc, laptops are o.k for short time use but working on one all day every day would be a nightmare.

Well I also prefer desktops.

The thing you've got to ask yourself is - will I need to work while out and about?
If the answer is "yes" then you already know what the answer is.

I've just built myself a bit of a monster desktop PC for £475 (amazing what components you can buy for your money these days) and I have as yet been unable to make it miss a beat while multitasking to the highest order :icon_lol:

You could have the best of both worlds and buy a laptop along with a monitor/keyboard/mouse. When working in the your normal base you can set the laptop up as if it were a desktop, plugging in even using 2 screens if required but then you can still have the laptop as a portable device, if you wish to do so... hope that makes sense :icon_smile:

For working

Desk top for working on, I loathe working on a laptop, it's just not the same.

Both of course is the ideal. Maybe a desktop and a notebook rather than full laptop.

Amanda

You could have the best of both worlds and buy a laptop along with a monitor/keyboard/mouse. When working in the your normal base you can set the laptop up as if it were a desktop, plugging in even using 2 screens if required but then you can still have the laptop as a portable device, if you wish to do so... hope that makes sense :icon_smile:
That's exactly what I do. It works very well for me because I do photography as well, but as others have said, if you don't think you're ever going to work on the move, get a desktop - they're that bit quicker and more powerful.

Katedesign

Desktop - if you need to present work you can print it out or pdf it. Would you really want to work on the move / different places?

Mercy - at last a use for an iPad!!

Yep this is what I do and it works a treat! :icon_thumbup:

OK I've bought myself a new monitor and borrowed a desktop from a friend - feels great! I actually have a place to work, which I think will in turn improve my work and make me a little more professional and more organised!

:)