Designing For Your Own Company

I run my own design agency, and with that comes a unique brick wall that I seem to be facing - nothing I design for the company seems to work - flyers, business cards - you name it.

I'm currently at the stage where I'm redeveloping an already established brand into something that reflects the companies ethics and work, yet after countless rounds of design, focus groups and print tests, nothing that I create seems to be "good enough". Hiring a different firm to take on the redesign isn't really an option, so what's the best way to proceed?

Hi Tim

Welcome to the forums!!!

And welcome to designing for yourself! There isn't a single bit of design that I have created for myself that I was 100% happy with - actually setting a bar of 75% happy with was the best I could do!

How about hiring a freelance designer to help you with concepts and flesh out your brand etc. I know you don't want to hire a firm - but an individual with strong branding background could get you off the ground and running.

It would also be a good way to open up avenues to a freelancer should your work load become too much.

If you like you could post your samples in the Graphic Design Critique forum.

Hi Tim, welcome!

I am currently doing just that for a company in a very similar position to yours. Feel free to get in contact, I would be happy to help.

Designing for yourself is most designers achilles heel. Hence, when I do design for myself on the odd occasion, I never really spend enough time on it, as I know from experience no matter how much time and effort I put into it, I won't ever really be happy with the outcome.

Back