Designing for you or designing for a client??

sarah_a

Hey all,

I have been sitting thinking about which I prefer to do, and I just thought hmm I wonder if everyone or even
anyone else lol feel the same as me. I find designing for myself a lot harder than designing for a client...

So is this just me or does anyone else find it a lot harder to design for personal pleasure??

All the best
Sarah

It's not that I don't enjoy doing it for myself (I should re-word that) but I always seem to produce some of my worst works because I try to hard. I'm pretty happy now but at the time it drove me nuts.

Yer thats what happens with me I just dont seem to be able to find a concept.
It drives me crazy. Thank you tho its nice to know am not the only one lol :icon_smile:

No I'm the same, I think its much more common than you think.

I just find when I'm set a project I hvae to do a lot more research and that makes for a much better end product! Where as if I'm designing for myself I often start in the middle of the design process and end up going back on myself!

And then there's the pressure thing too....I work much much better under pressure.

It's a nightmare because I'm trying to create fictional clients in order to produce portfolio work, and my fictional clients are so fussy, they just can't make up their minds on anything!

I think it depends entirely on your frame of mind at the time. To me, it's like writing a song, you might gain inspiration from an experience, in which creating something for yourself can be simple. But otherwise, I suppose it's the same as writers block, thus working for somebody else is much easier.

To me, it's like writing a song, you might gain inspiration from an experience, in which creating something for yourself can be simple. But otherwise, I suppose it's the same as writers block, thus working for somebody else is much easier.

Thats a very good way of explaining it lol Thank you all for your comments. I also work a lot better
under pressure, when I posted this I was feeling a little low with me, myself and my designs lol but
reading what you'll have to say made me see it more as (Quote above) than a big problem :icon_biggrin:

So thank you'll you guys helped a lot
All the best
Sarah

I'm the same, if I design for myself I feel like the piece is never finished and that it can always be improved. Commissioning someone else it's not an option either as I'd probably be the fussier customer in the world!!

Back