Designing a branding for use in a film.

mrp2049

I have been asked to design a piece of branding for the use in a film, just a short film nothing mental, but here is the truth of the challenge; it has to look bad.

I've spent the last few years trying to be a good designer, learn the rules of good typography use, make interesting logos....

But no, all of that out of the window! The title of the film is "DIY Knight", and the challenge was to create a branding for a DIY store called DIY Castle, and it had to look 'second rate' and 'done on the cheap'.

So here is my attempt....

draft1copy.jpg

draft2copy.jpg

sheildmycopy.jpg

sheildmy2copy.jpg

sheildmy3copy.jpg

Does it look cheap? Have I gone to far? The last one has some mistakes in it, but i'll sort them later.

Help me!!!!!

I think it looks quite good!! Just use comic sans and range the type left that would look disgusting and design it in word!! lol

what a strange brief!!

Yeah I was going to say where's comic sans, the multitude of effects and garish colour combinations.

The funny thing about your designs is that I could actually see someone using them in real life with just a small tweak here and there.

dam it!

It is a strange brief, very strange. I've got an email back from him, he actually likes the last example.

I think the challenge was to make something safely generic, so it was useable, and not complete gibberish as it has to be identifiable in the film.

I can see why he chose the last one Mike.. even if its the one you liked the least. :)

I wouldn't say I particularly disliked the last one, I genuinely struggling with this one, it is a real challenge because client is a little confused aswell, he obviously wants it to look good, but is wrestling with it looking bad.

"If you try to fail and you succeed at failing, did you succeed or fail?"

The first one looks much worse though ;)

What a strange brief to work on!! :D
I'd say look at your type again, it's looking far too neat atm, maybe play around with the kerning and stretch it out of shape a bit, so it looks like it's been forced to fit in.

Guessing this won't be one for your portfolio then?! :p

Greg said:
What a strange brief to work on!! :D
I'd say look at your type again, it's looking far too neat atm, maybe play around with the kerning and stretch it out of shape a bit, so it looks like it's been forced to fit in.

Guessing this won't be one for your portfolio then?! :p

I've sent off a final now, i'll post it in the morning.

I think with an explanation its a cool piece as it was a real challenge, but without the explanation a giant NO WAY GREGO!

Greg said:
Varying stroke thickness, bad text shaping, nasty colour scheme...
I think your work is done :D

I think the amount of black is what doesn't sit right with me, and I really had to fight not to change it.

Tim, I like it as well, but I WOULD NOT send that out, the other colour final I did is closer to being acceptable, that is the similar just without the helmet.

tbh if i was you i'd piss off client by producing a load of stokc logos and just putting their name at the bottom in Times New Roman if they gave me that much of a brief/decent communication :D

tim said:
tbh if i was you i'd piss off client by producing a load of stokc logos and just putting their name at the bottom in Times New Roman if they gave me that much of a brief/decent communication :D

i've just washed my hands of them now. to the private thread...

Back