Designers!

This is a question posed about your methods of designing for print. I receive quite a number of jobs where I work that are set this way:

Say Quark/InDesign - the designer has set their page larger than the finished size, then put crop marks around it within the artboard. Why do you do this, when it makes more sense to create your artboard the correct size to begin with, and add your crops either using the appropriate tools (adding slug area and drawing them on there or whatever), or as you PDF it? (I had a job today set up this way, with wonky drawn crop marks, then it had been PDF'd with crop marks, it made no sense to me).

I am curious as to whether there's a good reason for this? It can be frustrating at times to have to sort it out!
I work as a graphic designer/pre press, and don't set up my artwork like this, I use the correct artboard size, and PDF with crop marks and bleed etc.

Thanks for your replies!

I think as I understand the question - it's what you are used to. By doing it in this way you clearly see the bleed off / where the bleed is needed / how the finished result will look.

Keeps you mindful of the bleed.

I think as I understand the question - it's what you are used to. By doing it in this way you clearly see the bleed off / where the bleed is needed / how the finished result will look.

Keeps you mindful of the bleed.

Thanks for your reply! :icon_smile:

If you set your document up correctly, you can see where the bleed will be - for example in CS4 Illustrator, like InDesign has had for ages, you now have an option to put the bleed onto your document, so your guidelines are there, and it's clearly marked out. I completely can see how your answer makes sense if you are used to using Quark or something though, which doesn't have those guidelines.

It just seems like the software isn't being used to it's full advantage. If it's what people are used to it's fair enough, but at the same time a shame, doing something "because you've always done it that way" is limiting.

Back