Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Designers smoke more?!

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by tim, Jan 22, 2009.

?

Do you/did you smoke?

1. Yes, GOD yes!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nope, it's disgusting

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  3. Used to, gave it up because it made me feel cool

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. tim

tim Senior Member

okay, so I'm really curious about this one.

I've noticed on the thread about essential items, some people mentioned fags as their first or second item!

So, is smoking particularly related to design, or is it just a giant coincidence that so many people do smoke here?

Thanks guys :D

2. rossnorthernunion

rossnorthernunion Senior Member

Only realtion is -

some people some.

some people design

some people design and smoke.

some don't.

3. tim

tim Senior Member

i seee. so you think there's no relation? well, that's this thread f*cked already!

4. I used to smoke many years ago when i was working in New Zealand, other than that no :) find it makes my design less fluid :p

5. Timmo

Timmo Member

Never smoked and never will.

6. tim

tim Senior Member

wow, that surprises me! i've heard for the last... i dunno how long... that designers are more likely to smoke, and that it's their industry.

Fail whale, comes to mind.

7. Greg

Greg Active Member

I think that's a myth Tim! I don't think there's any connection to the design industry and smoking.
    In answer to your poll, I've never smoked :)

8. berry

berry Active Member

I used to smoke, but stopped 5 years ago. I did find that when i was under a lot of heavy pressure ( there's 1. work. 2. pressure. 3 heavy pressure!) I did oversmoke. Maybe a mental thing. I think the whole smoking thing because of the laws at work is now a redundant issue. But it's free will and people's choice still.

9. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

I smoke but am in the process of giving up/cutting back. I rarely smoke at work but it is good on occasion to get away from your desk & clear your head (of course there's nothing stopping me going for a walk n not smoking).

My first design job (2003 I think) I shared an office with the MD of an estate agents and could smoke at my desk! That seems ridiculous now.

10. peekaboo

peekaboo Senior Member

I have never smoked, in fact I can't stand it!

11. Aarlev

Aarlev Member

I'm one of the filthy smokers as well. :)

I don't think smoking is particulary related to Design. But I do love a good cup of coffee and a cigarette when I have to do stuff on my computer at home, especially if it's late at night and I need to stay awake. And it's also nice to get a break from the office once in a while and have a fag if you're under pressure.

I've cut back a lot though. Used to be on 20 a day, but now it's more like 5-6. Ultimately I'd like to quit completely.

12. tim

tim Senior Member

12 have voted, and half at smoked at once stage or still do...

but my friend's theory is completely crap!

13. brandmantra

brandmantra Junior Member

I know some designers, they smoke a lot.

14. MikeM

MikeM Junior Member

I agree that I don't necessarily think smoking and design go hand in hand - however I do think that if you smoke already, and you're a freelancer working from home, then that'll probably lead you into smoking more, simply because you can.

I found myself smoking about 40 a day, which was just insane, so I've had to push myself into cutting down dramatically and now only smoke around 6-8 at the most - trying to quit altogether this year too.

15. Josh Greenaway

Josh Greenaway Junior Member

I'm a smoker, and probably always will be.

I gave up once for about 4 months, but decided to start up again. Not because I'm an addict, but because I enjoy smoking.

Anyway, on subject, I don't think designers smoke more - I smoke the same amount today, as I did when I wasn't a designer.

16. sabian1982

sabian1982 Member

I've not had a smoke in over 2 years now! Stopped a few months before the smoking ban came in so was clean of the addition before being forced to stand outside in the cold British weather!!!

17. Michae

Michae Member

I can't design without smoking... When I get stuck with something, I need a cigarette.

18. Eagle

Eagle Member

I smoke (and swear) like a f*cking trooper! the NHS is better-off for it. :)

19. tim

tim Senior Member

@Michae : A few people have said that, and I'm recognising now it's smoking related to the fact it's a heavy job at times.

@Eagle : I'm not getting the NHS are betting off part... but it's good to see you're back here again!

20. Eagle

Eagle Member

I forget the exact figures but 'we' pay something like £80 billion in to the NHS and only take £4Bn out in treatments. Or is it million, I dunno. Good economics anyway, no? ;)