Designers hangups

Ette Taylor

Hey Guys, I always come across designers who have certain rules when it comes to design, such as myself, I can not bare to put coloured text onto a coloured bkground, my friend can not bare to design a website in more than three colours and I wondered what youres were...

So this is the perfect place to get it of your chest...:)

The only rule to design - is that there are no rules.

There are of course basic guidelines and principles that are the very foundation of various form of design, but these always change and bend with times, cultures and influence.

Always try to avoid BrushLine Script and Shatter fonts.

'Berry LOVES Garamond italic'.

I read it on the toilet wall at the Spread Eagle pub.
Not that I hang around there are anything. Ahem.

Agree with Berry. I often come across things that I think "Well ill never try that again" but thats more just because they dont look good rather than a rule that i design by...

Personally I never follow rules that say 'you shouldn't do something', I'm more of a try it for myself kind of person.

People disliking a font due to it being a copy of another instead of judging it on its own merits (ie helvetica and arial).

As to my work, well I'm a perfectionist which when combined with a design discipline is the worst combination possible in my opinion. I've re-rendered a cad image due to it being literally 1/256 shade different to what I wanted, I'll adjust things by 1pixel if it isn't right. I'm dreadful but I kind of follow the rule, its as much my name on this work as the clients and I hate producing shoddy work.

Berry said:
The only rule to design - is that there are no rules.

I'll have a spring in my step all day now, as Berry's post has made me imagine a DF 'fight club' scene!
We're all crowded around in a dark basement holding laptops, pens and pencils with Berry striding back and forth telling us the rules of DF Club!

Might just be me, but I thought it was an image worth sharing. :D

Krey20 said:
I'll have a spring in my step all day now, as Berry's post has made me imagine a DF 'fight club' scene!
We're all crowded around in a dark basement holding laptops, pens and pencils with Berry striding back and forth telling us the rules of DF Club!

Might just be me, but I thought it was an image worth sharing. :D

DF comic #1 ! That's an amusing thought.

tbwcf said:
DF comic #1 ! That's an amusing thought.

LOL completely.. with Berry wearing "The Beast" T-shirt and you can't see his head so he remains mysterious :lol:

Back