• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Designer's Exploitation

haeyder

What would you do if your client asks you for a logo and you deliver the files. The client uses these and do not pay you.

I always ensure that I receive amount for the efforts I am putting in so that no one can exploit my skills and time.

What's your thought on it?

Levi

Staff member
I'd have partial payment up front, a contract and then final payment at the end (I do allow up to 30 days, depending on size of job, for final payment though unlike Stationary Direct)... if they don't pay the first one then the work doesn't even start, if they don't pay the second I have a contract which enables me to take them to court etc if needed.

@GCarlD

Impossible for me, as final files don't get released until I have received full payment. Work doesn't even start until I have received a deposit which is 50% of the total amount.

The only files that do get sent before the final payment are low res/ watermarked medium res files during the design process, in order to receive feedback from the client.

scotty

Impossible for me, as final files don't get released until I have received full payment. Work doesn't even start until I have received a deposit which is 50% of the total amount.

The only files that do get sent before the final payment are low res/ watermarked medium res files during the design process, in order to receive feedback from the client.
^^^As above^^^

Thanks everyone for your generous feedback. However, it varies from region to region. In a countries like India, Bangladesh and Pakistan where designers go below the belt and would quote such rates that one won't imagine. Moreover many of these don't even respect their skills.

bigdave

Staff member
Thanks everyone for your generous feedback. However, it varies from region to region. In a countries like India, Bangladesh and Pakistan where designers go below the belt and would quote such rates that one won't imagine. Moreover many of these don't even respect their skills.
If you're in a market where you yourself have devalued what you do by making it dirt cheap, you cant expect clients to respect or see any value in the work you do.

Charge the going rate based on how much you need to make a living and you'll put off the clients that see you as a disposable commodity whilst attracting the type of client who will value your skills, will sign a contract and most importantly.. will actually pay you.

In a countries like India, Bangladesh and Pakistan where designers go below the belt and would quote such rates that one won't imagine. Moreover many of these don't even respect their skills.
What bigdave said.

This quote seems to suggest that the designers are blameworthy for charging so little that their clients don't take them seriously, Q.E.D.