Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Designer Vrs Client --- contains swearing

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by MarkS, Jan 21, 2010.

1. MarkS

MarkS Member

Just about sums it all up...

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

2. Minuteman Press

Minuteman Press Moderator

Oh well done! What a find and what a comprehensive script. Got it all!
  3. Mercy Design

Mercy Design Member

OMG_ I'm going to be a massive devil's advocate here...

Have you ever put yourself in the client's shoes? They're buying something they won't see until the project is finished- and then you're going to invoice for it. They're stepping outside of their comfort zone- unlike dentists or doctors, vets or builders most business people have very limited experience of working with 'creatives' and as such probably feel very out of their depth. Couple that with a too cool for school designer (i know I'm stereotying, it's for illustration purposes) who attends the meeting in an American Apparel hoodie and a pair of J-Brands & you're setting a recipe for disaster.

Design professionals need to start behaving as such- no more bitching about clients. Lets start thinking like clients, ask them what they want, give it to them, request feedback, maintain conversation and act on their input.

If the client doesn't present you with a detailed brief- write it for them & don't start work until you've both agreed it.

If a client starts requesting a gazillion changes 'just to see what it looks like' explain the time and money it costs you to make these changes and give them a clear explaination of why you feel their request is an impediment to the job- if they still want the change, explain why you're charging them for it.

we're professionals- it's time to take a stand and stop slagging off clients- there aren't forums devoted to surgeons dissing their patients are there. How are we going to be taken seriously if a client can clearly see us ridiculing them? I know I'm as guilty as everyone else of bitching about my supposed nightmare clients but it really is time to start seeing it from the other side as well.

My new years resolution is to respect the people who put food on my table.

4. JohnRoss

JohnRoss Member

Quite right, and even people who rarely or never go to the doctor have a good idea about what to expect, these days, i.e., not miracles. That is precisely the problem, that designers and freelancers are unknown quantities, and there are many "clients" who take advantage of that, sometimes out of ignorance, but not always unwittingly - quite often, all those "It won't take you a moment" "I'd do it myself but I just haven't got time," "I'd get my secretary to do it but she's off sick" are deliberately wearing, preying on the designer or freelancer's lack of self-esteem. Putting the worth of what you are buying in question is a standard bargaining/negotiation technique.

All good, sensible advice to practically any businessperson.

I don't think anyone is. I mean, this thread began with a funny animation, not a barrage of insults. Like most funny things, it's funny because of the large amount of truth it holds, not about clients in general but about a minority of diifficult clients.

Don't know. I should think medics are generally too busy for the Internet - my father didn't have time to watch the 9 o'clock news, much less waste time online.

Pilots, now... You can find some really superior, grade-A bitching on - Bulletin Board for Airline Crew. We just aren't in the same league.
  5. Minuteman Press

Minuteman Press Moderator

I was a print buyer for 12 years. I still find this funny.

My recommendation - take it for what it is - a bit of fun, nothing more.
  6. MarkS

MarkS Member

I have to agree with John & Mercy here.
    But as Minuteman says, this is after all just a bit of light humour...

And who says that Doctors don't moan about their clients? just cause you don't know it goes on doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
  7. dot design

dot design Member

I found this video around 6 months ago, I look at it at least once a week, it nearly made me cry with laughter the first time I saw it, it is too true

VLAHAKISA Member

I love this, no matter how many times I watch it I still laugh my head off!!