Design Related Film/Doc's

scotty

Ultimate Member
This may be the shortest ever thread because I've not come across too many design related film/documentaries.

Thought I'd share one I just watched called Sign Painters about traditional sign painting/writing and it was awesome.
I'm getting back into hand lettering which was one of the ways I started off back when I worked at a newspaper so it was especially enjoyable for me.
Only £2.49 on Blinkbox after searching for it for an absolute age.

http://vimeo.com/61006621

Anyone have any other recommendations?

That looks cool, will check it out. I used to do lots of hand-lettering for logos and stuff back in the day.

Wardy said:
That looks cool, will check it out. I used to do lots of hand-lettering for logos and stuff back in the day.
I've been trying to track it down for ages and glad I did.
It was really good to watch something so well made about something you're really into.

I used to have to draw feature page headers for the newspaper by hand a lot and looking back I quite enjoyed it too.
I've also been wanting to get back into some trad sign writing again and I've been getting some lettering brushes together and just need to get some One Shot for a dabble in the New Year.

@Fippsey

Thanks for the link. Will check that out further.
Don't think the Sign Painters film was anything to do with Creative Review as it was a feature length thing which was on general release this year (I think) and I didn't see CR mentioned in the titles.
Yep. I actually read the titles. ;)

I thought we had that posted up before because it was on bbc or something.... could be wrong though

Looks like i saw a sign painting video, saw your link, put 2+2 together and got 10… sorry lads ha :rolleyes:

I don't know Levi. I've been trying to find it online or other for quite a while now but most accessible and cheapest was on Blinkbox.
It was only released in 2014.

It's a really good watch although watching people sign wright was SO therapeutic that my wife fell asleep. o_O
Some of those old sign writers are quite bad-ass.

Fippsey said:
Looks like i saw a sign painting video, saw your link, put 2+2 together and got 10… sorry lads ha :rolleyes:
It's okay Fippsey.

I can't tell my arse from my elbow half the time. ;)

Back