Design & Print Help

HippySunshine

I'm designing some wedding invites for a friend...
Size A6, Matte Card and will have some light blue fonts.

Firstly I'm not a print designer so is there any specifics that the artwork needs to have/be?

Secondly does anyone recomend a cheap but decent quality printers?
Obviously I've googled but if anyone has any good/bad experience with anyone in particular that would be a great help.

Thanks x

Hi,

Without seeing your artwork, the main considerations off the top of my head are as follows;

3mm bleed
300 dpi minimum
Make sure your document is set up as CMYK
Make sure you apply crop marks
And if your document has more than 1 page, make sure it is exported as single page PDF (not spreads)

Here is a PDF for a guide to creating print ready files temporarily hosted here; http://www.proofing.mbm-online.com/rhl/RHLPrintReadyFiles.pdf

I hope this is of some help and anyone else can fill in what I've missed.

Get in-touch if you would like a quote.

Regards,

Chris

Calibrate your monitor so you know the [blue] colour you're looking at on screen is near to the final thing as you can get it... or just bear in mind it may be well out!

There's some stuff with this Google search , depending on your operating system. I'm sure some guys on here will help you out - I'm afraid I can't as I'm on a Mac.

It really is worth doing if you're doing anything with colour, either for print or web design.

Does anyone recomend a good/decent priced printer?
Im looking at printing 130 A6 wedding invitations, matt laminated possibly 400gsm that will do a proof also.

Im always wary about using print companies as I have had a bad experience with a couple so if tehre is anyone you have used that you recommend/dont, that would be a HUGE help.

Thanks guys

Cheap is not always a good thing!! I use a small print firm called McRay Press. They can deal with anything you need on any scale! Including hot foil print, laminating and all the stuff you'd expect.

Anything print related, speak to Tom Sound here on df. His work is top quality and great prices. I'd highly recommend him! Send him a PM, I'm sure he can point u in the right direction.

nice one Dave.

Generally we're good for print bigger than A3, but can generally advise on most digital print if anyone needs anything :up:

davewill said:
Anything print related, speak to Tom Sound here on df. His work is top quality and great prices. I'd highly recommend him! Send him a PM, I'm sure he can point u in the right direction.

I'd echo that, if you are really lucky he will email you random photos of oversized cards!

mrp2049 said:
I'd echo that, if you are really lucky he will email you random photos of oversized cards!

Oh yeah (nod)

Only if you're really lucky though.

oh, thanks to your blog Michael we've been watching loads of Roller Derby at work today :D

Tom Sound said:
Oh yeah (nod)

Only if you're really lucky though.

oh, thanks to your blog Michael we've been watching loads of Roller Derby at work today :D

Really? Im half way through posting loads of vids from my girlfriends bout on youtube.

They have one coming up in London pretty soon, I'll tell you when it is.

HippySunshine said:
I'm not lucky... :(

davewill said:
looks like im not lucky either :(

Look what you've started Mr P, how quickly I fell from the dizzy heights of 'this printer rocks!' to 'meanie'

:(

And as for Roller Derby, anything that promotes the use of fishnets in the name of sport is fine by me :up:

Back