"Design Packages"

tim

This has rather angered me.

I was browsing through some designers website this morning, and I found a design package for £399. This is what his website states:

onestop_offer.jpg

Maybe you do get what you pay for, but alot of people really don't care. People have been paying him £399 for aaaaall of this. This is what a design company I know (highly professional) offers.

1. Logo design = £250-£450
2. Web design = £800+
3. E-commerce = £1000+
4. SEO = £1400+
5. Letterheads, business cards, etc = £200+

Maybe I'm wrong, but notice that one logo design comes to the amount that the package does?

Maybe he's just starting out? Doing a part time freelancing bit in his evenings, so he's slowly gathering money together so he can make the full jump to freelance?

Thats what i'm aiming to do at the end of this year, start charging cheap things like that, and doing 1 or 2 a month maybe, saving the cash to put into my "Freelance pot" so i have the financial backing when I go freelance full time.

This guy is probably doing that, getting business's on board as they are going to him because he's cheap, but then when they need more work like adverts/flyers/catalogues or whatever then they will come back to him, then he can charge them more for the flyers etc.

I think he's overpricing... look at the design!
(and lol @ empty windows toolbar + safari browser = screenshot fail)
allegiance_large.jpg

EDIT: Although looking through his portfolio page, he does seem to be more print and graphic oriented rather than web.

Maybe he's just starting out? Doing a part time freelancing bit in his evenings, so he's slowly gathering money together so he can make the full jump to freelance?

Nope, he's been doing this for 3 years. Still, even so, that's an incredibly stupid price. I support design packages, sure, but all that for this little?

Dunno then if he's been doing it 3 years, all I know is he must be doing something right if he's managed to make it to 3 years and still going!

What's his actual url, i wanna see the rest of his work :)

I'll PM it you, I don't want loads of people clicking on it and him finding the thread.

Yeah, thanks Onartis, that's a good inconspicuous way :)

It's not about how he's getting by though, it's about how the industry is getting undercut and devalued IMO. Another stupid metaphor, but you wouldn't pay a builder 50p for a conservatory.

In his portfolio page, scroll down to the bottom and you'll see the Ultimate Potential logo, i've seen that recently, the guy wrote a tutorial on Logo design process, now i don't know if this guy has stolen it or they're the same people.

I'll try find the original link

If it wasn't done by this guy who is showcasing it then I think a nice email to the tutorial writer would be in order. But we don't know yet who did the original and if they're the same people or not.

Well I'm thinking it's a one-man-deal despite that he keeps referring to himself as 'us'. Don't ask me why, I just have that impression. And if it is in fact just a freelancer, then maybe the name of the 'company' is just his name, Jarvis.

Bingo, found it:

The Logo Design Process for Ultimate Potential - Vectortuts+

Guy who wrote that is Jacob Cass, dunno if they're the same people though!

His name's Colin.

Sorted then, email Jacob Cass and notify him :D

Why people steal logo's off of public tutorials is beyond me

Back