Design help

Hey Scotty! Thanks for the quick reply. I got bogged down at work so sorry for the late reply. I do like the font but would just like to know how to generally do it.

You can try searching for 'vintage typography design tutorial' or 'retro font logo' or similar.

It really depends what your skill levels are. These things used to be done by hand of course, so drawing skills would be a help, at least with
sketching the idea in the first place. Otherwise, find some lettering you like and convert it using Illustrator or Photoshop etc, source your other elements, then put it
all together. That's not a particularly good example you found, or is it your WIP?

Hey Scotty! Thanks for the quick reply. I got bogged down at work so sorry for the late reply. I do like the font but would just like to know how to generally do it.

What exactly about it would you like to recreate?
This would help a lot as talking you all the way through everything about it would be quite a task.

In the example, they seem to have used a typeface/font by looking at some of the characters and then either used a Warp or set it on a path to achieve the curvature.

There's a lot of other things going on such as the offset path for the outline which also seems to have a Blend applied as well.

If you're talking about making some custom lettering then that's a whole other topic.

Thanks for the replies. I have toyed around with different editors for years but by no means are skilled with them. As for the question of what i like about the design? Its the curvature and the outline. "k" in the design. I understand they probably drew the embellishment. The reason I am asking for help is that I have a band and our logo is pretty bad. I would like to upgrade our logo to something like the design above. Here is our current logo. backtomemphis final.png

LOL! I actually prefer the one you have as it's much better designed and also technically better. :D

The example you've shown isn't very well executed and riddled with mistakes.
A bit of a hack job really.

Are you talking more about the style of the lettering?
That elaborate leg on the K is just the upper case version of the font as you will see that it's the same on the B.

I think if you want something more in the style of the example then the easiest way would be to trawl though for sites like DaFont to find something similar or alternatively, get someone to do some custom text for you.

If you need any help in the execution then people on here can be very helpful and will give you advice and tips.

I can't even read the original logo you posted originally.

I actually like the Back to Memphis logo. It's ok.

Looking at it in more detail then I'd say the example was a free font as the bottom of the lower case K doesn't touch the base line and is out of alignment with the bottom of the C to it's left.

Not something you'd usually find on a commercial font.

If you search "best, free, tattoo, fonts" then you might find something similar if not the example shown.
A lot of design sites do round-ups where they compile decent examples.

I too like the one you have - needs a bit of tweaking here and there that's all.

I can understand you wanting something a bit more vintage like the one you've shown, but these
things don't come off the shelf - good drawing and typo skills are necessary I'm afraid.

If it were me, I would take the 'Memphis' from the one you have, then combine it with other elements
to make a new one in the style you like.

Yes, I know exactly want you're after. The only one that springs to mind is Allman Bros Band or Lynyrd Skynyrd or something.

Back