Design Forums Blog Design

Dave1975

Hey guys,

I've been working on the blog design for the Design Forums blog, trying to keep it very much in style and as integrated with the forums as possible, here's what I have for the homepage so far...

http://www.designforums.co.uk/df-blog.png

Does anyone have any comments/suggestions on what can be used in the left sidebar? Where the 'Top Posters' currently is, and where we have the Folio Updates in the forum. I was thinking of having the images of the most popular posts in there that then link to those posts?

Thanks,
Greg

The purpose of the blog will be in bringing new members into the forum, publicising the most popular forum topics in the blog format and also adding design tutorials. I'm hoping that a few members of the forums will be interested in making guest posts on the blog too. It's main focus is in getting additional traffic and letting more designers and developers know about the forums :)

I love it, nice and simple. I can't wait to see it, this is the first forum I have signed up to, since leaving all forums about a year ago to go onto blogging, and I have to admit, I am likeing it here already.

I can't wait for the new blog, I will be a subscriber ;)

Hi Craig,

That's fantastic to hear! The new blog is under development now, will keep you all posted with the developments. I'm hoping that the blog will be a nice addition to the forums in allowing members to contribute to articles and features, with links back to their own sites and hopefully driving some new members to the forums.

Thanks,
Greg

Well, once the new blog is up and running, and you need a post, I am more than willing to pop in with the odd blog post if you are after some guest posts? let me know ;)

Thanks Mike
and yep that would be great Craig, that's what I'm hoping, members making guest blog posts, along with popular topics/issues covered in the forums made into interesting and informative blog entries with quotes, etc. I'm hoping it all comes together as planned!

Cheers,
Greg

Loving the blog design, you've implemented a very nice flow between forum and blog quite nicely. Looking forward to see more developments on it.

Hi Jamie,

Been a bit delayed, client work getting in the way of Design Forums! I'm hoping to have it completed and launched this weekend, ready for lots of exciting new content next week. It should hopefully coincide with a very cool announcement that's all hush hush just now ;)

Greg

Thanks Jamie appreciate that, all our members so far have found DF through direct contact/referrals or links on other sites like blogs and twitter, as we're yet to rank in the search engines, so any link support is really helpful, wherever it may be! Greg

One question Greg, how do you keep maintaining this site etc without cost to us?!

It's baffled me! Probs not to do with this but there we go!

Hi Tim,

Fair question, and hopefully one I can answer for you now...

I believe in creating long-term assets with my personal projects. Whilst I have been contacted by a number of UK hosting companies for example about advertising on Design Forums, I've stuck to my original vision for the site, which is an advert free community.

Whilst it would be easy to accept their offers and stick up a load of adverts, I think this only has a short-term benefit. Sure I would earn a few £s here and there which would cover my hosting cost outlay, but in the long run I think this would detract from the site and put new and existing members off being involved with it.

The negative side to running the site in this way means it takes longer for me to get things going, for example this very thread is regarding the Design Forums blog, something I've wanted to get started from day 1. But, with freelance design being my main source of income, I have to put freelance work before projects like Design Forums. Hence why the Design Forums blog is still in development, in a queue behind my current workload.

The positive side to running the site as I do is hopefully that the members of the community appreciate that I'm not selling out to get their clicks on paid adverts, there is no ulterior motive, say for example a printing company running the forums and advertising a reseller scheme or something.

What do I get from the site? I get the benefit of being a major involvement in the community, the opportunity to network with designers and developers I wouldn't have known otherwise, and the chance to discuss one of the major interests/passions in my life. In a financial sense, I have invested a fair amount in to the site, for example the main expense was the domain name at £275. I believe by creating a genuine community the domain name will only become more valuable and be an asset for the future growth of the site.

I hope that answers the question, as I believe being honest and transparent about my reasons for running and investing in the site is the best way to attract the kind of members we want around the community.

Thanks,
Greg

PS- Do you think it would be worth me making an 'About DF' page in the main menu so existing and new members alike will be able to learn a bit more about what the sites aims and objectives are?

Back