• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Design for books: what words/terms should is used?

Hello guys!

English is not my first language, I'm making a international portfolio and I'm facing many doubts about the correct word or term to describe my job. Could someone help me with this issue?

1) What word is common to say when you make only the... styles for the book's interior (choose the type style and size, colours, forms, arts in general)?

2) And what word to say when you only "apply" the styles that other person created for the book, doing only the text disposal, flow..etc?

3) Is it correct or common to say: I am a "books designer"?

If you know any other term I would be glad to learn.


The article clarified a lot, but these specific issues couldn't be answered. If anyone could contribute I would appreciate. Thanks!
Like scotty said it all falls under editorial design.

But I'll take a stab at what your trying to describe.

1. Sound like you designed the "spread" of the deisgn i.e the layout

2. someone who is only typing into your spread is just "typesetting"

3. i would say you are an editorial designer

hope this is along the rights lines