Design Brief

James Pollard

Hey Guys, I'm a young lad who is in my last year of school, I really want to be a graphic designer! I'm teaching myself to use Photoshop and other programs and am looking at Graphic Design courses at colleges near me. But I need something creative to help me progress with skills and face problems like I would in reality, so I was wondering if somebody would be nice enough to create me a fake design brief for example: Company Name ect... to help me progress and give me something to do when im bored! :icon_smile:

PS im not sure if i posted this in the wrong place or even if this is to much to ask, but any advice would be appreciated as I am new to this!
Thanks!

Hi James,

I pretty much did exactly the same thing as you in my last year at university to create portfolio pieces to help get a job once I had graduated. My approach was to pick a handful of companies at random try using Google for generic terms such as trainers and the select a random search page and the first company that catches your eye on that page. once you have 10-12 companies for different series and products imagine what these companies might want you to design, it could be a website, business stationary, a promo brochure even packaging for a range of frozen food.

Set yourself a week for each project and you'll have a padded out portfolio before you know it. if you want to use these pieces for prospective employment try and stay away from the obvious companies like coke and Nike etc, maybe find some companies local to you. Once you start designing professionally you will find that most of your work is from local small to mid size companies, so starting there is your best bet.

I hope this helps, I know getting started can be quite tricky but if you persevere you'll get there!

Yak Out!

Hey Guys, I'm a young lad who is in my last year of school, I really want to be a graphic designer! I'm teaching myself to use Photoshop and other programs and am looking at Graphic Design courses at colleges near me. But I need something creative to help me progress with skills and face problems like I would in reality, so I was wondering if somebody would be nice enough to create me a fake design brief for example: Company Name ect... to help me progress and give me something to do when im bored! :icon_smile:

Good approach, I suspect with this attitude you'll do well.

Good luck and there is some good advice above but tru and get your Illustrator skills as honed in as Photoshop (you'll need Indesign too but one thing at a time!)

Back