Design, Art, or a Creative Director ?

m4xst4r

Hello.
I spent more than 15 years doing a Graphic Design, and after all that years and with all that experience, I had become able to easily do a team leading and design management with a creative way.

Recently a friend of me recommended me to do a team leading work, he asked me to be a kind of a supervisor on the design part of a his small project, the project is about designing an online marketing website, and he asked me to lead the team of two Graphic designer, a Web developer, and an another two people who collect data for the website.
Since I am not sure about the different between the following job titles, I would ask what is the suitable job title that I should called with ( Referring to the job I will do ) ?
- An Art Director
- A Design Director
- A Creative Director

And please make sure you clarify to me what is the different between each one.

Thank in advance.
Max

I wouldn't say you're any unless you get given the title by your company or employer and receiving said pay rise over being a normal designer.

Based on your description at best I'd class you as team lead or team supervisor.

Also getting hung up job titles is a waste of time, I know people who are at the top of the 'food chain' who are less skilled/suitable for the job than people who a lot further down.

@Levi
Thank you for answering , I can understand you mean none of above job titles are suitable for the job I will do, but anyway
Can you please clarify to me what is the different between :

- Art Director
- Design Director
- Creative Director

As I understand it, they all overlap a little. It depends on the specific industry they are operating it.

- Art Director
Oversees imagery relating to a campaign or project. This could be photography, illustration or design. It can be set design if it's theatre, or footage for film/animation projects.

- Design Director
I've never actually met anyone that works as a design director. I *think* it's more common in industrial design and automotive fields. They basically oversee the design direction of a product or brand. I think Jony Ive might be a good example of this role.

- Creative Director
Oversees the general creative direction and creative teams, i.e. the overarching idea. In most places they will have the last say on whether work presented to them is right for the project.

@Paul Murray

Thank you for such a kind answer.
Well,,,,, I think I should stick with one of 2 things :
Creative Director - or - Art Director
But let me first clarify what is my duty exactly with the project I work with as the following points :
- I oversees the design part of the project (The Website)
- I have the plenipotentiary to execute a new creative ideas, but I am not the only person who suggest ideas on the project (The Website).
- I have the plenipotentiary to decide how the website will looks like.
- I have the plenipotentiary to decide who would I hire to work on the (Graphic Design) part or even other technical parts.

Overall the project manager asked me to do anything creative, but still I would like to be professional job and be responsible on design things only.
Though I am creative on other fields but I prefer to stick on Design part.
So what do you think I should stick with ?
Creative Director - or - Art Director

I have a mate who's an Art Director, and he does pretty much all of what you've described. He oversees the design, he hires/assigns designers to work on it, and sometimes handles the design himself.

Sounds like Senior Designer work to me. I always thought Art Direction was just part of that same job, involving photo shoots and the like. Not really come across
Design Director, but think it refers more to Advertising. I think there's a big leap from Senior Designer to Creative Director, though, you'd be expecting
a large pay rise!

Still think it's neither, as I said earlier you're getting too hung up on a 'title' (which is given to you by your employer, it's not something you pick yourself) rather than the job.

I still feel that you're no more than a team lead or a team supervisor with ability to hire someone (likely still goes through a higher up) so at best it would be something like a senior designer or lead creative seeing as you've basically got someone higher up who is guiding the project as you state '- I have the plenipotentiary to execute a new creative ideas, but I am not the only person who suggest ideas on the project (The Website). '.

Back