'definitive' list of things designers "should" (if they could) own

The google OS started as a rumour, most of the features of the ps3 started as rumours, I imagine hundreds of features of the Iphone were rumours before its release.

Just because its a rumour doesnt mean it wont happen. Educated rumours are all we have to go on before a release statement

i'll go on my personal experience of rumours tbh.

yeah some features may be accurate but people were let down when the iphone 3gs came out as it didnt have all the bloody features people said it'd have.

Tim - if you don't take a rumour as gospel you can get insights into where things are going, plus taking into consideration past events/upgrades leaves things pretty obvious for things like the iPod and iPhone. You can't just go assuming every rumour is true, think about the tablet rumour going round, the likelihood is that Apple has a larger ipod touch (it makes sense with Apples push into movie retail) which they are internally testing, same goes for a leopard based tablet, it doesn't mean they will be released.

The macbook pros and the SD card rumour had been going round for ages, the upgrade to sealed battery on the smaller models was a given after the 17" and the release of non glossy displays on the 15" (and hopefully 13") as most 'Pros' were complaining.

I don't think of rumours as being accurate but they do give an idea that something might be happening, then its a choice of waiting. September is usually iPod month, so for the sake of waiting one month for either better value or cheaper price I'm all for waiting.

yeah, obviously they're not gospel, but i dont see why people are so fascinated by them, they have no proof behind them- all i see them as is a waste of time.

yes, apple have released stuff around this time in the past, but that doesnt go to say they'll follow the trend each year.

just mon opinio.n

But trends is all we have to go on, why buy any new apple stuff if you don't trust the trend that you liked to old stuff and the new stuff will be just as pleasing.

I imagine rumours are healthy for spurring a company on also. I'm sure apple have some idea that they should add the features that are rumoured about to get most money for their investment

Krey20 said:
I just did a blog post about the equipment/tools I use, the question is: Can you still call yourself a designer without most of them?

good blog post, I have alot of that, getting a tabelt for my birthday, and I have a magnadoodle instead of a white board!

28879855.JPG

almost exactly like this!

Surely thats more limiting than a whiteboard (the pixeling etc.)
but then I suppose anything that needs precision will be done on paper anyway.
hmmm interesting (thinking of what to get and that could save on losing pens)

I just write messages on it, or reminders. It has been with me for years, it used to be by the phone in my old house.

I just think it is more fun than a white board!

Colour swatches have been mentioned but I'd say more specifically get a set of Pantone books, and keep them in good condition.

One of the most important things is some backup software. Get an external drive as big as you can afford, capacity that is not physical size, then make daily incremental backups. Even better – use software such as Carbon Copy Cloner and make a bootable clone of your whole hard drive onto an external. That way if your mac dies all you need to do is boot from your external, clone back onto a new drive/mac and you can be up and running again within minutes rather than days/weeks/months....

Luckily I've never had a hard drive fail (touch wood) but I know people that have and losing all your precious work is, well....

Um cough cough

welcome to pinickity land?

edit: i said it was rumours, because it was, btw. not because i thought i was 100% right that the idea didnt even exist.

yeah, you go up procrastination drive, then on down powerpoint haters road, left at the momument and straight on down paint is a great application street.

ahh yeah Great Application Street, just off Plagurism Way :p

Its got "I REALLY HATE POWERPOINT" Secondary School in it if memory serves me :p :lol:

Back