Decals

Titch Sanders

Hi Folks,
I use a Gerber Edge on a daily basis for my business. I often struggle with putting a White backing 'underneath' the whole image when printing onto Clear material. Anyone on here knowledgeable with 'Illustrator' that I believe can set this up.. I must confess, I'm not too conversant with the technical side though.. Is there anyone that could offer any advice please??
Regards,
Titch Sanders

Hi, I've used Illustrator for many years in print and publishing. I also used to produce cut vinyl. A colleague of mine had a Gerber Edge, and I was aware it could do stuff that I couldn't do with just vinyl.
I haven't touched that side of the business in some 15 years or so.

I guess your issue is that having a white layer in illustrator you can't see it with the white of the screen.
I would usually put a shape with a solid fill as the bottom layer, and use a spot colour for the fill, often a cyan, hot pink or lime green, whichever of those colours was not going to clash with anything in my artwork.
It doesn't matter what the spot colour is, as you map it to white in the production phase.

If that's not what you mean then perhaps you could give a bit more info on the specific issue.

Hi Tim,
Thank you for reading my post. My screen's work area isn't White, so no, that's not my issue here to be honest.
The issue for wanting the White background is that I want to print the White on Clear vinyl, this then stops any change in the colours I print on top of the White, dependent especially on the background the final product is going onto, the colour of the background that is. Hope this makes sense? The White backing is a micro millimeter smaller than the overall finished work so that it's not seen from the front at all. If you looked at it on the finished product, it's white overall but NOT where it needs to stay clear.. can I send an example on here or wherever at all?
I see it done and have had friends/companies do it for me, but the service is a trifle 'unpredictable/reliable with respect to them and I just want to know how to create that 'fill (?) if possible..
Regards,
Titch Sanders

ah, so is it a layering issue?

I'm not 100% sure how an Edge works, but what I think you're saying is....
If you use a clear base and print a yellow design, if that was then stuck on a red car for example the yellow would look orange. Is that right?
In which case you want to back the yellow with white the yellow stays yellow regardless of what it's put on.

So I think it would still be a case of creating solid fill on it's own layer that encompasses the whole design.
It sounds like it's the same process as creating a layer for a UV spot varnish for print work..... like when the logo on a business card is glossy but the rest of the card is satin.

Hi Tim,
Yes,
If you use a clear base and print a yellow design, if that was then stuck on a red car for example the yellow would look orange. Is that right?
In which case you want to back the yellow with white the yellow stays yellow regardless of what it's put on.

Spot On that's the issue!!
Yes, 'layering' is probably the correct terminology sorry. I believe it's a simple process in Illustrator, I have the CS3 programme.. but I'm 'thick' when it comes to learning.. once I've done it two or three times it then sticks in my mind, but... it's 'learning' the process?? Have you knowledge on the process of doing this Tim? I'll attempt a private message ( again, not good at this..)
Regards,
Titch Sanders

Thank You Tim,
This may be it.. I have struggled finding the correct one previously.. but..
Thank You!
Regards,
Titch Sanders

Back