Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dear Mr Cameron or Her Majesty – who do I send my Royal Wedding Bank Holiday invoice

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by berry, Apr 12, 2011.

1. berry

berry Active Member

I’m very pleased that Kate and Wills are going to tie the knot and I’ll be sending them a card in the post soon. My staff are understandably over the moon having a day off to either watch the wedding or go to Alton Towers. My only concern is that in the current economy who is picking up the bill for all this extra days holiday and the how industry and business will make up for a lost days production and revenue.

Many employers believe that small businesses in particular would suffer because of lost sales, while many feel that some companies would effectively be shut down for the 11-day period because many staff would take the three-day week as annual leave. The CBI has calculated previously that such breaks COST the economy £6 BILLION in lost productivity and overtime payments.

On the good side retail analysts estimated that the benefit to the British economy could be as much as £6 million. But since I’m in the service sector I guess I wont be seeing any of this in my sales figures. On the other hands with the wedding expected to claw back up to £1 billion in extra tourist revenues and sales of memorabilia, I’m kind of hoping that I and many other business will be getting a cheque from some of that pot of money from someone.

As an small agency with 12 staff it will cost me about £6,000 in lost income, staff salary and clawback time for the missing day. Now I may not be a financial guru but if I quickly work out the maths – £6 Billion loss + £1 Billion gain in Candy floss,picture mugs and tins of biscuit + £6 million benefits = Big Bloody LOSS!!!!

If David Cameron or the Queen is logged onto DF could you PM me ( no pun) me with full details of how I get my cheque for lost revenue back and also how small businesses can help boost the failing British economy after taking yet another hit in the face?
  2. davewill

davewill Senior Member

You make a good point Berry, its not something I gave much thought to but I can see that there is a serious point behind your sarcasm.

Out of interest, how do you handle request from your staff for time off? In the agency I work in the management are quite strict over holiday time. They often ban people from taking time off during certain busy periods of the year. In the past they have granted me the time off I requested only to tell me the week before I couldnt take the break I had planned as the studio was too busy and they couldnt get cover!

How do you handle busy times? Do you coordinate staff leave to ensure you are always covered?
  3. berry

berry Active Member

I'm very relaxed over holidays and will sanction 'next day holidays' if desired. Whatever happens we all pull together and get the work done.
  4. davewill

davewill Senior Member

Sounds like a great place to work! It does get very frustrating when holidays have to be arranged and re-arranged! Last year I wasnt even able to use up all of my annual leave so I got paid for it instead, but I would rather have had the time off.

If only I worked at Carsonified, their job benefits are outrageously good!
  5. Romack

Romack Senior Member

we got the day of like. i honestly am looking forward to the royal wedding!
  6. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

It's just another day as far as I'm concerned, if I have work that needs completing then I will be working on it.

Yes I know there's realistically only 3 important royal things I'm likely to see in my lifetime, coronation of the next King (William most likely, it's why Queenie is still there), a royal wedding and the birth of the next in line to the throne and I should be more excited but it's just 'meh', are they still on about's only been talked about for the last year (seems longer!)

I know that the royal family (or the heritage anyways) is a huge attraction for this country (I'm not a royalist but I don't want to get rid of them) but if I had a business where I employed people then I'd be a little annoyed in the same way as Berry. It's not just the money side of things, if no ones at work you lose a day of work (minimum) and unless the bank holiday magically extends the deadline you've got to make up that time somewhere.

The more I think about it this wedding is starting to sound more like a conservative (party) idea, they normally screw over the little folk while ensuring that their own members and the rich are sitting pretty, it's not like anything they've done to fix the debt is affecting the rich people more than having to take out more from the bank...
  7. Greg

Greg Active Member

8. berry

berry Active Member

9. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

It's a fair point to be sure, where can you draw a balance in this economy between celebrating a royal wedding and letting the country come to a standstill for up to a week!?

It was like that in my previous job too.

Personally I'm looking forward to having 11 days off from my current job... so I can finally get some real work done!
  10. Becky

Becky Member

That's basically how my employer covers it. No time off during "short weeks", Easter or Christmas. A short week being one where press-day/deadlines are shifted due to bank holidays.