Dealing with other creatives submitting not-great work

TCJW_designs

Hi everybody,

It's been a while since I posted on here, but you guys always seem to be spot-on with your advice, so I've got a bit of a question for your all.
I work as both a freelance designer and as creative officer for a medium sized company. We've commissioned a video (animated) from a friend of mine who's worked with us on animated infographics and other videos before, and he's done some great work for us. We've just received the first draft - a week late - of the new video which has been given a much larger budget and more time.

Right now there's a lack of any kind of consistency and generally bad graphics-wise. I'm putting this down to the fact in the past he's animated my graphics work, rather than made it himself. It's not long until the deadline for the final product but we're nowhere near where we need to be right now. There is still a possibility we can turn it around, but he's going to need to do a lot more work than just the polishing he seems to think right now.

How would you approach this? I see this as mostly my fault for bringing in a friend, but I was sure he'd be able to pull it off. Has anyone had to deal with this kind of situation before?

Thanks, everyone!

Let your client know that you have had some problems with the edits or that progression has been much slower than anticipated. They will thank you in the long run for being straight with them. Now it looks like its time for you to knuckle down and re-create the assets for the animation, Your guy will be able to replace the files provided they are all saved down in the correct format. It should then just be a case of re jigging the animated assets to fit with the new. Animation is a long process :( bad luck.

THanks for that. I'm sure we'll be able to get it done, just kind of frustrating that the quality's not there yet. Cheers for the response!

Let your client know that you have had some problems with the edits or that progression has been much slower than anticipated. They will thank you in the long run for being straight with them. Now it looks like its time for you to knuckle down and re-create the assets for the animation, Your guy will be able to replace the files provided they are all saved down in the correct format. It should then just be a case of re jigging the animated assets to fit with the new. Animation is a long process :( bad luck.

The saying goes, if at first you don't succeed, try and try again. There's plenty of support on here so you're in good hands

Back