Dealing with Browser Errors I Can't See

Pixelsmith

Hi All,

I run a small web and graphic design firm in Wales. I'm working on a site for a client and everything was going well until they found two errors on the site in Firefox 3.6 and 4.0 ( the site is here if you'd like to look for yourselves: readerservice.pixelsmithdesign.com/extras ). I dutifully checked the site in all my browsers (FF 4.0, 3.6, IE6, 7 & 8, Safari and Chrome) but could not reproduce the errors on any of them. The client has sent me screenshots of the errors but I can't figure out exactly what's happening.

Has anyone experienced anything like this, and if so, what do you tell the client? How can I troubleshoot an error I can't see? How can I convince the client the code is good when they're clearly experiencing an error? I know that I can't code for every iteration of every browser since there are so many different ways that each browser is set up, but it's frustrating not to be able to solve an error I can't see.

Thanks,
Adam

Sounds like an obvious answer but do you have access to more than one type of system? I've known people who work on a shiny new Mac that keep an old PC around simply to see check how things appear on another setup.
It might not help to fix issues but it'd damn easier to spot any as they occur.

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I do have multiple systems. I've tested the site on Vista PC, XP PC (virtual) and two Macs to no avail. That's what's so frustrating!

A.

Yeah I thought you might, stab in the dark really. What kind of errors are they, fancy posting the images?

The first one is the strangest. I've never seen anything like it before.

The second one is pretty standard, but I don't know why it's happening, since it's NOT happening on the same browser on the same system when I tested it.

Attachments

• error1.jpg
    error1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 14
  • error2.jpg
    error2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 11
Isolation on a small island with similarly afflicted websites?
Although I understand that's not the done thing anymore.

Sorry I can't offer more helpful advice.

Hi Adam,

Do you have larger versions of the screenshots of the errors? PM me the links or e-mail to greg(at)gregfindley.com if easier, will take a quick look for you in the morning. Little browser issues like this bug me, so I'll do my best to try and help! From a quick look at the code using Firebug I think it may have something to do with the way overflow: auto has been used in the CSS, having said that it shows fine for me here on PC + FF 3.6.10.

Greg

Your second issue is surely down to the fact they are viewing the beta version of Firefox 4, and the first looks like a height and width issue, can't see what version of Firefox that is though, and the background repeating as a result. Wack in no-repeat on the background, would help to solve it a little.

The end of the day you can't be expected to get every browser variation, especially in Beta's of browser, and expect to turn a decent profit for your efforts.

Get it looking right in the main stream browsers but forget about trying to fix errors in beta versions as the chances are the fix will need fixing when the beta becomes the finished product.

I would suggest that this issue is due to height and overflow on the columns, however without seeing the code in action its only a strong hunch. As regards browser support, this should have been stated in your contract with the client, where you would have agreed which browser you will support.

PS. I hope the example URL provided isnt going to be the real solution, DW & Table Tastic !

Geoff.

Back