Datasheets

gcol90

Anyone designed any datasheets before? In the process of doing one now. Well, attempting.

I'll post tomorrow eve were am up to (well later today), but so far all I've come up with is a very boxy flyer with some pics - which have been provided, along with a LOT of information on the product. Literally can't think how to do this at all, it's just a bit 'blah' at the moment. Seeing the guy am doing it for tomorrow, and imo it's an improvement over what they have now, but it's still very lacklustre.

ah just seen this, sorry.

here's the old one (front and back):

old_zps64c455a5.jpg

here's my take on it:

new_zps74e3a890.jpg

tried to make it easier to read through everything by breaking it up etc. see what i mean about it being boxy and a bit 'blah'?

looking at this screenshot, i might resize those logo things at the bottom :/

the main reason that looks boxy is that you've got that vertical divide... try breaking arranging it so it removes that vertical line and then see what you think. Also you don't need to always have massive blocks of text, sometimes bullet points are more effect (why chlorine dioxide could easily be another list) and maybe allow for bigger pictures. There's nothing to stop you using text over pictures either

Thing is, I'm kinda stuck on the content. They want it exactly the same, word for word, hence me trying to arrange it in such a way that's easier to read - i.e. not so, well, boring.

take the initiative... show a design that is less wordy and explain the reasoning why, no body wants to read a body of text which can be summed up in bullet points...

I would advise against that unless you're being paid for the extra work. I say this because it's very easy to create something that looks better, and will no doubt perform much better, only for the client to shoot it down for some nonsensical reason. There is little point in trying to impress a client and show them a better way when they're not interested and there's realistically nothing you will ever be ale to do to change their minds!

I would definitely recommend having a discussion with them on the subject though, as it will take much less time. Explain the problems that they've got, and what you would need to do with the design to solve them. Personally, even if I was interested in a water treatment product, this design does everything but encourage me to read all of that text. There's simply too much text and the informational hierarchy is almost non existent. Nothing draws my attention or makes me want to read anything.

After the talk, at least you'll know whether or not it's possible to give them what they need, rather than what they want. Some times clients can be totally unreasonable and will always think they know best - when you've established that trait in a client just give them what they want and be done with it.

Back