database driven website? quote idea!

h_freezy

I am new to this aspect and i just need a quote idea so i can bill my customer and sub-contract to anybody who is good on web database

You are acting as a consultant and want to price up a database driven website is this what you are asking? More information would be cool.

glenwheeler said:
You are acting as a consultant and want to price up a database driven website is this what you are asking? More information would be cool.

yeah thats what am asking for. a website with a login page and connected to a web-database.
simple.........what is the average quote for that
should be like 6 pages but the pages can look simple and the same.........

Your probably talking anything from £100 to £1000, the more information you can provide the more people can quote, drop me a pm if you don't want to give details on a forum...

Id be interested in hearing more on this, please send me details so I can provide you a more focused estimation on pricing.

Look forward to your reply.

Geoff.

Please explain what the business is, what the website has to do and what you expect the successful developer/coder to produce.

Any examples of a current site / design brief/ product spec etc would be really useful

Sunburn said:
Please explain what the business is, what the website has to do and what you expect the successful developer/coder to produce.

Any examples of a current site / design brief/ product spec etc would be really useful

a website with a login page for customers, customers will be able to login to view updates and details of their account. The website will also allow customers to register for an account, view other services and access to latest news.
It is basic website plus database web application.

Cheers h_freezy

Q. What's the web site though? whats its purpose?

Q. Are you providing the visual design and wanting it to be developed from mockups? with the DB integration or is the site already built and you just need the DB and backend done? Or are you looking for the site to be designed as well?

Q.Who are the customers? ( for example are they customers of a pet shop, chemicals industry, NPO? this information will be required in order to suggest what information you will need to store in the database

Q. what are the updates the customers will be able to see once logged in?
how will these updates be applied to the customer? will they be automatic, manually assigned, or generated upon user action? are they dependent on say a purchase or submission. Will the backend have to manage this?

Q. What other services will the customer be able to do?

Its pointless quoting if we dont know what the purpose of the site and the purpose and required functionality in full of the database backend.

Its like asking for a quote on having a box made, then being told it must be able to hold stuff.

i only want flat quotes, extras will be added later when job specifications come through.
For example:
i can give you a quote to build 1 bedroom house, 2 bedroom house, bungalow on a flat quote but if you want extra stuff then it goes up but a flat quote is just a guide price.

I think you don't understand me so don't worry about the quote. Freelancers hate to under-quote jobs and i fully understand your point ok.

peace

I do understand, you just haven't answered any of my questions? this will be a concern for anyone that would be interested in quoting on any work for you.

( as free advice you will not get any quotes that hold any water unless your prepared to give detail.)

As this doesn't seem important to you, and you need a flat rate with the understanding the costing will change when the project starts and more features are added id be happy to quote the following to secure the work

My Flat Rate is £0.00 (to secure the project) then with every additional item / new feature / that's not been disclosed above in full detail and or is added to the project will be charged at £2000.

Based on the project info above I'm sure I wont be beaten on price.

Sunburn said:
My Flat Rate is £0.00 (to secure the project) then with every additional item / new feature / that's not been disclosed above in full detail and or is added to the project will be charged at £2000.

Sunburn, I have a web build for you and I will honour your Flat Rate of £0.00. The job is yours, you can start when you like. I'll send over the brief which is very comphrensive and watertight. I don't think I will be added any new features or items, so I'm certain that the final project will be spot on the agreed budget of £0.00. I'll email you a purchase order and am quite happy to agree standard web build terms of 50% upfront. I will BACCs transfer the ammount of -0.5 £0.00 first thing. Thanks.
P.S If you want to be put on a monthly retainer for all future work, no problem. I'm just off to fire our programmers.

Drat!!!! I've just let the Programmers go!
If I gave you 100% of the £0.00 flat fee upfront would you reconsider???

:) I can only reconsider after reviewing your project brief and pricing up the requirements, skill set and time frame required in order to fulfill the job, please feel free to pm for a no obligation quote.

I hope you understand?

Sunburn said:
I do understand, you just haven't answered any of my questions? this will be a concern for anyone that would be interested in quoting on any work for you.

( as free advice you will not get any quotes that hold any water unless your prepared to give detail.)

As this doesn't seem important to you, and you need a flat rate with the understanding the costing will change when the project starts and more features are added id be happy to quote the following to secure the work

£2000 is a little bit high..i was thinking you would give me something like this:

Basic website (css, html, flash) (6 pages) - starting from £500*
Ecommerce website (oscommerce.........) - starting from £1000*
Websites with database + web applications - starting from £1,500*

I think this is the clearest i can explain myself

Thanks

On reflection and considering the economic climate, and the fact that Berry has fired all his programmers I think berry should have first refusal, Berry would you be as kind as to quote for the work in this thread? I'm happy to pass on this occasion.

:)

*Subject to massive variations.

h_freezy I think half the problem is that you are unsure what you are talking about/want/need.

You've mentioned a log in page several times / database, well if you just want the client to be able to log in to update the site then that's a content management system, you can use things like wordpress / other off the shelf solutions or have one made bespoke.

database + web applications (what applications?)

It's all far to vauge to get any sensible costs. It's like asking someone for a quote to carpet your home without telling them how big it is / how many rooms their are / does it have stairs & how many sets (town house, flat, etc).

I don't think you can even really get "starting at" cost without knowing more as with how much work is involved in a website it really is a case of "how long is a peice of string"

Back