cyberbrothers website

sheppee

Im wokring on this new website for a russian client and there are still a few bugs - but starting to smooth out. Our main issues are translation from russian to english - but Im just posting here for feedback and any ideas for improving the interface. Hoping this will become as intuitive as vimeo - but more orientated towards visual arts.

http://cyberbrothers.tv

I know there are a few changes from the new html 5 browsing - so if you do get glitches - plase also stick your browser type.

Some really cool old skool russian animation up there too - for folks interested.

The code is pretty poor I'm afraid. Tables, typing in uppercase, no semantic elements used…

The interface from the perspective of a 'generic user' :
Regarding the main page which is all I will more than likely look at, I have no idea what the 5 images down the right hand side are (or what they are linked too)

I have no clue what a Kaleidoscope is in this context, so would either click it instead of my intended click, or not click it at all, people don't like different, or people are curious as to different, however that doesn't satisfy the fact it should be there for a reason of people needing / wanting it....

I'm not a fan of the footer, but that's subjective as it's your design.

The "all news" button's writing is a bit low in the button itself.

The tags button shouldn't remove the 'tags' word, especially as the other 3 menu buttons don't.

Hi there - ok - thanks for the feedback so far - some responses

The 5 images down the right hand side are channels - different streams of curated contents by some key people on this community.

Kaleidascope is a function which randomizes all the contents of the website and creates a stream so that the website can be left on as a tv channel (this will play eternally until another page is selected)

I guess I have to do some research on semantic elements cos I dont know what that means - but thanks for the comments on tables - things are still moving about abit and will be smoothing out shortly.

Well Im impressed that people are writing back with the comments quickly - thanks guys - I guess we still have a lot more work to do.

Did any of you actually like the contents of the webiste ?

Are you translating it by hand? When I click on a different video thumbnail all the titles go back to Russian, which is more or less not the point :)

Design-wise I think it's a decent site but it lacks consistency. You're mixing up three styles: rounded corners, square corners and pixelated elements. Let me use an example: when you click through to a video you have three headings: Channels, [title], and Playlist. The first one is rounded on one side, and square on the other side. The second has square corners on both sides. The logical choice for the third title would be to have a square on the left and a rounded on the right.

Looking on that same streaming page, you see those five images on the right. The top one has square corners, which doesn't only clash with the 4 other ones, but completely breaks the flow of the rounded corner to the immediate left of it.

Still on the consistency issue: looking at a different page the white background disappears. Not only is this rather unattractive, it's too much of a change in comparison with the homepage and unnecessarily brings out the white navigation bar.

The last thing on consistency: the logo is square so I don't see where the rounded corners — especially because they are heavily rounded — are coming from :confused:

You telling me what they are is of no use, I shouldn't have to ask what they are, the page should some how tell me.

"Don't make me think" ― Steve Krug

Hi there thanks for these points again.

Russian is being translated by people there is moscow.

Noted on the rounded vs Square corners - we have been trying to work on this 8bit aesthetic - but as you mentioned there are some clashes - so we will look into that too...

Renniks - ok - well errr - sorry for making you think ? The buttons take you to the work of those design groups - some of those names - specifically YWFT are pretty well recognized in the design world - and we were trying to avoid labeling everything too much. We will try and take the mystery out of it.

Lastly - Im not sure why the link has been removed ? it was working yesterday - is this because Im posting a site outside the forum - ??? Ive changed the link again today - but it reverts back to this page each time ??? Can an administrator advise on this ?

glenwheeler said:
Why does that link direct back to this thread for me :/

sheppee said:
Lastly - Im not sure why the link has been removed ? it was working yesterday - is this because Im posting a site outside the forum - ??? Ive changed the link again today - but it reverts back to this page each time ??? Can an administrator advise on this ?

Fixed the link for you, this usually happens if the URL hasn't been entered correctly and it defaults to the DF URL followed by the link (not sure why it was working one day and not the next?)

Greg said:
Fixed the link for you, this usually happens if the URL hasn't been entered correctly and it defaults to the DF URL followed by the link (not sure why it was working one day and not the next?)

For the record it wasn't working for me yesterday either, I had to copy and paste the link to take a look :D

It didn't work for me either but I figured everyone around here was tech-savvy enough to get to the site anyway :p

Onartis said:
It didn't work for me either but I figured everyone around here was tech-savvy enough to get to the site anyway :p

It took me about 5 minutes, but I got there in the end :D

Essentially I advise you read Don't Make Me Think!: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability: Amazon.co.uk: Steve Krug: Books

An amazing book on web usability by Steve Krug. My point regarding don't make me think was that how long do you feel someone will sit and browse through your site when they don't know what anything does? I know that if I didn't I would leave very quickly. Some sites have managed to get away with this because they build a solid userbase anyway, but alot of sites fail for this very reason.

Back