CV Portfolio feedback

First page looks like a mistake as it's virtually blank - like the PDF is not rendering correctly.

It might be your grammar which is a turn off

"aswell", "alot", "Im"

This is a disaster!
MY PROFILE
FROM AN EARLY AGE I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN INTERESTED IN ART & DESIGN AND AS I HAVE GROWN UP
MY INTERESTS WITHIN IT HAVE CHANGED. GRAPHIC DESIGN HAS BECOME A PASSION OF MINE AFTER
DISCOVERING MORE ABOUT IT DURING COLLEGE AND THEN GOING TO STAFFS UNI TO BECOME A
GRADUATE IN THE FIELD.
DURING MY TIME AT UNIVERSITY I GOT OFFERED A YEARS PLACEMENT AT ALPS PRINT & DESIGN WHERE
I BECAME A FULL TIME JUNIOR GRAPHIC DESIGNER AND PART TIME TEA BOY. BESIDES FROM MASTERING
THE ART OF MAKING TEA FOR ALL THE STAFF I WORKED ON REBRANDING THE WHOLE COMPANY
ASWELL AS WORKING ON ACCOUNTS SUCH AS PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES, RESTAURANTS ‘N’ BARS
AND CORPORATE OUTFITS. ALPS TAUGHT ME ALOT ABOUT PRINT AND DESIGN AND I STILL REMAIN IN
CONTACT WITH THEM, FREELANCING MY SERVICES.
OUTSIDE EMPLOYMENT IM KNOWN AS THE ‘GADGET MAN’, THE REASON BEING I LIKE TO KEEP MYSELF
UP TO DATE WITH THE LATEST TRENDS IN THE TECH WORLD AND ALSO THE GUY IN THE FAMILY WHO
EVERYONE COMES TO, TO GET THERE LAPTOPS WORKING OR SOFTWARE UPDATED WHETHER IT BE FOR
MAC OR PC.
I LOVE FIGURING OUT PROBLEMS AND SEARCHING FOR NEW THINGS TO DO AND SPARE TIME FOR ME
CAN BE WATCHING YOUTUBE TUTORIALS ON THE LATEST THINGS PHOTOSHOP CAN DO OR WHAT THE
WORLD CAN OFFER ME

Completely hard to read and when read it's appalling.

Especially the highlighted bold parts.

Youtube is not a viable source for learning anything! It shows complete laziness if anything else - better off doing courses at credible centers.

Photoshop is not a one-stop-shop for design! It's far too overused and completely the wrong tool for creating a lot of design work. It's great for editing photos - but unless you understand Print and Design to an absolute "T" you are threading very dangerous waters of being completely un-hireable!

Rewrite

At an early age I developed an interest in Art & Design, my idealogies of Art & Design has evolved as I have learned more and more. Art & Design is a passion that is continually developing through my time at College {insert name of College} and attending many "Staff Unis" {what are these?} and became a graduate in the field {insert name of field}

At the time I was attending University I was offered a years placement at Alps Print & Design where after a successful period I was promoted to a full time Junior Graphic Designer. {Leave out the Tea Boy!!! why that's there is a mystery!} During this time Alps and Print & Design were executing a rebrand of their image, where I was involved on a daily basis working closely with the experienced staff I was able to apply and learn various aspects of a rebranding for company. After my tenure as Junior Graphic Designer ended at the agreed time, I continued to work with Alps Print and Design as a Freelance Designer.

At my leisure I am very interested in the latest trends in technology and I like to keep up-to-date on the latest trends of the latest gadgets.
{A company usually has an IT department - stating you fix computers won't go down well you're applying for Graphics job, not IT.}

I am an avid problem solver in my day-to-day life and this skill can really transcend into graphic design as each design challenge requires me to think outside the box and be unique in my solutions. {prepare some real life scenarios when this was the case, no need to have them in the CV}

Also - I was unable to find a single logo in your portfolio online, nor the "Alps Print and Design company"?

Coming back to "What the World Can Offer Me" statement!

Wow - that's a huge ego and a massive turn off.

You're applying for starting junior graphic designer, you are not Paul Rand meeting Steve Jobs! (Well not yet anyway :icon_wink:)

Your tag line should be

"I'm looking forward to using my already gained knowledge of graphic design from an educational point of reference to real world application and look forward to applying my technical knowledge in everyday situations"

hankscorpio Thanks for the advice and tips.

All has been taken on board and a reworking of the CV has begun.

Grammar has never been a strong point of mine so thanks for taking the time to quickly rewrite some of the paragraphs

Think of your CV as an "advertorial" of yourself.

What do you want to gain from this partnership you're making a proposal to?

You're applying for a Graphic Design position at an Entry Level. Your CV should scream creative talent, but also a desire to learn the ropes of production in whatever area of Design it is the company that are offering.

For example, for a packaging company I'd include samples of die-cuts, barcodes, unique designs, etc. And state heavily my desire to learn as much about everything to do with Packaging!

Same goes for sign making, web design, web development, litho printing, screen printing, textile printing.

Whatever you design will end up produced somewhere. And there's a learning curve to everything.

Your CV should scream desire to learn, and an underlying talent that reflects this.

Most importantly, you should be completely transparent that you don't know it all, and that you are learning and that's what will make or break you.

For my first CV all of about 15 years ago I sent a basic Word formatted file to printing companies up and down the country. Hand written envelopes, cover notes with every letter signed. I must have sent 100s of letters by post.

I got more call backs for my hand written, hand signed, and hand posted CVs than I ever got by pumping emails to every job advertised on the internet.

Sometimes a personal touch goes a long way.

Most importantly, you should be completely transparent that you don't know it all, and that you are learning and that's what will make or break you.

For my first CV all of about 15 years ago I sent a basic Word formatted file to printing companies up and down the country. Hand written envelopes, cover notes with every letter signed. I must have sent 100s of letters by post.

I got more call backs for my hand written, hand signed, and hand posted CVs than I ever got by pumping emails to every job advertised on the internet.

Sometimes a personal touch goes a long way.

This really helps as well. Given me a new approach on how to sell myself.

Time to stock up on stamps :icon_smile:

Back