Curriculum Vitae Help

Mosskat

Heya,

Need some help with my CV content. This may sound a little strange but more often than not, writing out what I can -do- always stumps me. Attatched is the current stage of what I've got so far. It's come a long way admittedly but I'd like some more help.

Yes, have scoured the internet for guides. Some sites say this is right, other's say it's wrong. How would I go about selling myself? A Graphic Designer with a strong leaning to Illustration/Web Designer/Motion Graphics?

A colleague of mine classified herself as a multimedia artist and I feel inclined to agree as we tended to cover quite a range of tools and skills in Public Broadcasting but never quite specialized in one area.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kathryn Wheeler

Address: -----------------------
Email: [email protected]
Mobile: ---------------------

“I have worked in public broadcasting, newspaper agencies, and publishing both on a contractual and freelance basis. Able to work in high pressure environments, I can meet specified targets and work well either unsupervised or as part of a team.

Objective

“To advance my career to the next level by working in an agency or production house to gain more experience working commercially and on a more global scale.
Key Technical Skills

Programs

• Adobe Photoshop
  • Adobe Illustrator
  • Adobe Flash
  • Adobe Premiere Pro

• Adobe After Effects
  • Quark Express
  • Dreamweaver
  • DEKO

• Microsoft Word
  • Microsoft Excel

Illustration
Realsitic, Cartoon, Stock Imagery, Anime, Pixel

Web Design
CSS, XHTML/HTML, Front End Development

Motion Graphics

Banner Ads, Moving Classifieds, Bumper Ads

CG Operation

Live Broadcasting, Lower Thirds, Backdrops

Graphic Design

Brochure, Business Cards, Letterheads, Fliers, Posters, Stationary, Books

Career Summary

Versuasions (2008-present)
Illustrator (Contract)

• Conceptualizing, Drawing and finalizing greeting cards according to clients briefing
  • Designing website elements according to clients briefing
  • Advising client on best approach to artistic projects to save time, money and energy

The Jamaican Gleaner (Newspaper)(2004 – 2008)
Graphic Designer (Contract)

Television Jamaica, RJR Groups (2007 - 2008)
Graphic Designer (Full-time)

• Working with major broadcasting house, carried out wide cross-section of duties
  • Helped Art Director with creating elements for set designs
  • Helped Art Director with creating elements for motion graphics according to advertising brief

Bazaar Tales Publishing (2008)
Illustrator (Contract)

Ministry of Education, PESP Project (Jamaica, 2006 – 2007)
Illustrator (Contract)

The Academy (Jamaica, 2006-2007)
Art Teacher

UNESCO (2005)
19 Illustrations and 7 diagrams done for the film "Seeing Red: The Science of Violence”
Illustrator (Contract)

Education

Edna Manley College Of The Visual And Performing Arts (2002 – 2006)
-Degree in Visual Communication
- Graduated first in my department, receiving the Advertising Agency Award for Graphic Design

Portfolio

http://www.mosskat.com

Interests

Designing personal merchandise to sell, Reading, Music, Natural Healing

Quick look as it's late but you need a spell check and make sure everything's consistent like having a space after the - (design in visual communication is missing the space) or deciding on bullet points or -

Well yeah, spell checking your work is your number one goal, i would also make your text bigger, most people who run businesses are older, because they do have experienced, and with age comes problems :p he or she may have glasses, or just have a hard time reading small letters, id say stay above 14px for the normal wording, and 16 for the headers.

Also a CV DOES not have to be as bland as you have yours currently, i would recommend adding very feint colors such as gray to divide different sections, little, subtle borders and backgrounds can make a difference ESPECIALLY if your a designer.

Lastly i would also recommend centering your name and information at the top.

Will, I think it's purely content feedback Kathryn is after rather than presentation at this stage.

Quick feedback from me, I would consider changing 'Programs' to 'Software' and think about condensing the Adobe list, so instead of each program separately 'Adobe Creative Suite 2-5 (Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Premiere Pro, After Effects and Dreamweaver)'. I'd personally leave Microsoft Word/Excel out altogether, I don't think they'll be relevant to the majority of positions you're aiming at.

With your web development can you code to W3C compliant standards? If so, have it as W3C HTML/CSS I think, looks better IMO.

Other than that, big question is can it fit onto one side of A4? If not would recommend you condense it so it does, the people you're sending this to will more than likely be very busy, so one side of A4 with nice layout/typography should work well, and with more than one page there's a chance the pages could be separated by mistake, and misplaced, etc.

Back