Current popular typefaces

Louise Dyer

I feel a bit out of the loop with current 'trendy' typefaces. Could anyone recommend a few popular contemporary ones being used at the mo.
Louise Dyer

I like Cheltenham at the moment, 20 years ago it was a dulloid font, now it's has a second lease of life. I hate 'designer' fonts though, so obvious.

Typefaces aren't trendy/trending per se

I would disagree with this. Whilst it's true there are classic typefaces that are perpetually popular and heavily used, there are also swings towards use and disuse of certain typefaces/type styles at certain times.

Recently for example I have noticed an increase in use of classically proportioned geometric faces (mainly in advertising), as well as a new interest in humanist/calligraphic sanserifs for all purposes including text.

I wonder if Louise is still around and wants to continue the discussion, as I'm always ready to gossip about fonts, but I'd need to know what type of typeface she has in mind before recommending anything.

Berry -- what do you mean by 'designer' fonts?

Fonts are interesting. There's bloomin loads of them! I find myself using only a douzen or so fonts on a regular basis although I sometimes feel this is like ordering the same food in the restaurant time and time again because you know your going to get a decent meal. I think the answer is to get a good font organiser and thoroughly organise good fonts as and when you come across them so you can build up a decent collection of type faces that you find appealing and can call upon them as and when needed!

We're loving german style typefaces at the moment. Gravur is a particular favourite, also try bebas which is free on da font and Museo is always good.

wac said:
Fonts are interesting. There's bloomin loads of them! I find myself using only a douzen or so fonts on a regular basis although I sometimes feel this is like ordering the same food in the restaurant time and time again because you know your going to get a decent meal. I think the answer is to get a good font organiser and thoroughly organise good fonts as and when you come across them so you can build up a decent collection of type faces that you find appealing and can call upon them as and when needed!

Good idea - too many to choose from - only a dozen or so when I started :)

Back