Cs 5.5....are you upgrading?

mattyd81

So with 5.5 due to be released how many of you are considering upgrading?

I'm still on cs3 design premium and debating whether to now upgrade or wait till cs6. Do you think the jump from cs3 to cs6 would be even more than cs5.5?

Would be interested in what everyone else is thinking

Annoying .5 upgrades. I upgraded to the full CS5 suite last year so absolutely no plans to upgrade for a very long time now, unless they put in some amazing, can't-live-without new features.

Not all products get the 5.5 upgrade, many key products are still at 5:

Photoshop® CS5 Extended
Illustrator® CS5
InDesign® CS5.5
Acrobat® X Pro
Flash® Catalyst® CS5.5
Flash Professional CS5.5
Flash Builder® 4.5 Premium Edition
Dreamweaver® CS5.5
Fireworks® CS5
Contribute CS5
Adobe Premiere® Pro CS5.5
After Effects® CS5.5
Adobe Audition® CS5.5
Adobe OnLocation™ CS5
Encore® CS5
Bridge CS5
Device Central CS5.5
Media Encoder CS5.5

If you can wait, I'd get cs6 when that comes out, but have no idea when that will be.

I'm running CS3 and was waiting for 6 to come out before making the jump, but it seems this could be another 6 months plus now they've done 5.5. I would assume if you bought 5.5 the upgrade costs wouldn't be horrific when 6 does come out, but then again we are talking about Adobe.

Think I'm going to pass for the moment as apart from some InDesign glitches CS3 does me fine, and to make sure I'm up to speed with the changes since CS3 I'd really need a quiet spell to have a poke around.

Next year. 6.5 will be about a year after that etc.

They have started doing intermediate .5 versions to lessen the gap between upgrades. It is annoying as they ain't cheap and many people feel obliged to stay on the cutting edge.

The jump to CS6 from 3 will of course be slightly greater than to 5.5. If you can wait a year, then why not wait. If you can afford it now, then why not buy now. You'll only ever be around a year away from being 'out of date', so it makes little difference.

Sometimes upgrade costs can cost like £600 even from the latest version, so you buy the latest version and if a new version comes out a month later it could cost you £600... So waiting until the right time to buy the new version might be better than buying the new version now and then planning to upgrade as soon as a future version comes out.

matt said:

They have started doing intermediate .5 versions to lessen the gap between upgrades.

I think that the reason is a little more fiscal than that! In MY opinion, if it's a .1 upgrade or upwards, until it gets to 6, it should be a FREE upgrade. After all, I paid for CS5, which in my book, is read as 5.x!

matt said:

They have started doing intermediate .5 versions to lessen the gap between upgrades. It is annoying as they ain't cheap and many people feel obliged to stay on the cutting edge.

The jump to CS6 from 3 will of course be slightly greater than to 5.5. If you can wait a year, then why not wait. If you can afford it now, then why not buy now. You'll only ever be around a year away from being 'out of date', so it makes little difference.

I'm not sure about that, the 5.5 is all about the mobile devices, it would be off if a costly cs6 upgrade took away those features until another costly 6.5 upgrade, still anything's possible.

Dazzer21 said:
I think that the reason is a little more fiscal than that! In MY opinion, if it's a .1 upgrade or upwards, until it gets to 6, it should be a FREE upgrade. After all, I paid for CS5, which in my book, is read as 5.x!

My thoughts exactly! :<

I have CS4 at work and CS5 at home. I don't see the point of CS5.5 so will probably wait for CS6 when ever that is supposed to come out.

Dazzer21 said:

Totally agree, virtually no competition so adobe can do what they want really.

I'm glad everyone is on the same wave length, I'm currently on CS3 and until I develop and learn to be a designer I'm not going to think about upgrading until I'm forced to.

analogmonkey said:
Totally agree, virtually no competition so adobe can do what they want really.
Although applications such as Acorn and Pixelmator are gaining in popularity. Especially the latter is proving to be a viable Photoshop alternative, even for web design.

Adobe has more competition on windows but the simple fact is they are the defacto standard in design and unfortunately that means the end user normally gets shafted somewhere along the line.

The subscription model they're using is a joke, you don't ever own the product. Autodesk has a subscription model which works well, you buy product once, you then subscribe (yearly) to get updates (including new versions), if you stop subscribing you get to keep whatever version you're on. Pricing is cheaper than adobe's too....

Back