Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crowdfunding

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Wardy, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Wardy

Wardy Active Member

Does anyone have any experience of any of the crowdfunding sites such as Kickstarter or Crowdfunding Creativity & Innovation | Sponsume ?

I've been asked by a potential client to be involved in their project. Anyone used them, either by pledging money or starting a project,
    or know anyone who has? I've never come across them before, they look like a good idea to help get a project off the ground if you need funds.

Any thoughts welcome.

Evitoetty likes this.
  2. davewill

davewill Senior Member

Hi Wardy, my brother in law recently used Kickstarter to fund a musical festival in Manchester, he raised £2000 through it. I havent heard of the other examples that you mention, but Kickstarter is really great from what I've seen. I know of someone in Canada too who used Indegogo to raise money to start off a new product. They do seem a very popular tool these days but their success is obviously based on the quality of what you are asking for money for.

3. Wardy

Wardy Active Member

Hi Dave, yeah, Indiegogo looks good too. I think I like the look of Kickstarter as it seems to be more arts-related. May even have a go myself!

4. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Quite a lot of indie video games being funded by Kickstarter these days apparently.

5. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

I was asked to contribute some design/illustration to a project on Kickstarter but it kinda stank of speck to me so I didn't bother.

6. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Guest

It's started annoying me that people are always asking for money for things. It's a good idea in concept. Just feels a bit "needy" sometimes.

7. Wardy

Wardy Active Member

I don't know about 'needy', they're not just after donations. I guess the ones that do well are when the funders get something useful back,
    such as a printed book or personalised art or something.

8. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Guest

Yeah, that's pretty cool when there's a return on your investment. I like the idea, I just get sick of seeing people beg.

9. davewill

davewill Senior Member

I also am getting tired of endless requests for money (my facebook timeline is full of requests for charity fundraising, sponsored runs etc) but kickstarter is different. When you start up a new campaign you have to promise your investors something in return. So for every £1 donated you get a ........, for every £5 you get a free.... and so on, so its not asking for charity, its asking for investors.

10. shaunalynn

shaunalynn Active Member

I know a few people that used Kickstarter to fund their campaign, One Spark. You could contact the guys involved with that and see what their opinions were of it. :)

11. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

and game consoles....ouya is a perfect example of this

12. Squiddy

Squiddy Guest

I can't wait for ouya to come out! Might have to get involved in some game development for that too. Now who would have thought that you'd be able to start making games for consoles without being some enormous company!?

13. Squiddy

Squiddy Guest

Although in saying that, it looks like Nintendo is now screwed as the "cheapest one" haha.