Cross site solution needed

Jazajay

Right, we have a client who uses a on-line service to show house results via thier site not his. As in he clicks it and the results are displayed on thier site with his branding. He wants to intergrate it so it all appears on his site. Now the two solutions that come to mind are an Iframe and Ajax. Ajax would allow me to do far more but obviously theres a security issue that comes to mind with getting content from one website and showing the file on another and the browser not letting me. Does any one have a way round it or a solution I have missed?

What's the online service they're using Jay? Perhaps some more information on what it's showing exactly might help with some possible answers...

Sorry fella, like the hat by the way. :)

The clients website is an estate agents site. They currently use an external service that they have paid for, something like in-excess of £250/year that allows them to use thier properties that they have on their books and then show them via a search using thier software providers website but with thier branding. Sort of a poor mans non website external search system using thier software providers DB and bandwidth.

We've explained to them how much cheaper it would be to have a CMS system and how much more cost effective in the long run it would be but at the moment they want to stick with what they have got as they don't have time to migrate all thier data that they have placed on this system as it is not an easy move as the software in on his laptop and he doesn't have acess to thier DB.

What happens at the moment is that they click a button on thier site the user then gets taken to the software providers website where they input the queries and then the user gets showed the results that only this estate agent has with some of the clients branding on on the software providers website.

However the client would like it so it seems like its all part of one process not gone to an external website. They don't care about the SEO impact of it being on another site.

I have currently replicated the form so the form is now on thier site so the client doesn't have to go to the software suppliers site to fill it in, but the results still get displayed on their paid software providers site.

I was thinkning about Ajaxing the results but that would obviously be classed as a security issue, XSS, and not allowed especially in IE, and thus showing them on the page on the clients site. Then get the client to remove his branding from the software providers site.

Iframe seems like the only way to display the results now through, which is a bit limiting however.

Intergrating the form just to be on thier site was well......:mad:
So it may be a case of no you can't if I can't get the IFrame way to work which they are aware of but I thought I would check for any possible solutions.

I don't care if its a bit out their idea or a bit hard to do I honestly welcome all solution possible. :)

Yeah for another £100/year which the client doesn't want to pay for which is understandable. Good thinking though missed that off. :)

ok totally random idea but similar to iframe supposedly :)

what about a javascript 'lightbox' overlay opening the html page? You don't leave their site technically but you can still open the other site :)

The API is another £100 a year - and they don't want to pay that?
Surely it's worth it for a fully integrated answer, rather than an iframe?

If an estate agents can't afford for a simple CMS, or £350/year for the facilities of this service + their API, then you get the feeling they're not really taking the online side of their business very seriously?! :confused: not ranting at you Jay - just your client in this case :p

Some do use ajax as the main bit or part of but there there are some scripts out there that can load a html page in them too. Need either mootools or jquery in most cases :)

linky time :)
Floatbox Demo
iaian7 » code » webcode » mediaboxadvanced - had looked at using this for my site due to video support
Lightview - costs money
not saying use these but they should give an idea, I'm waiting on a v3 of one I've found that should bring html and video support to it but it's not out yet.

@Greg
They also pay a monthly fee or something for the bandwidth or something or other at the moment from what I can remember from the design meeting £800-£850/year in total I think so I can see the other £100/year would be a bit much plus us for a re-design at the mo and apparently business is slow with the current climate. But as we pointed out a CMS would cost initially but they would save in less than 3 years for a fully intergrated service that would allow them a lot more freedom. But hay I know I suppose they just want us to do it rather than the extra cost per year and not really care as long as it works, which I get TBH. :)

@Levi
Thanks. OMG I may have to bow to a framework. :cry:
I'll have a think before I do I think and get a bitter taste in my mouth. :D

Thanks buddy will defo check it out and let you know how I get it sorted even if my mouth tastes of metal.

Any other ideas are more than welcome. :)

@Levi
O no not having a go, just don't like the size of them, used one on a previous clients site, had nightmares for a week, babies screaming sell out!!! it wasn't pretty. :D

They are just way too big to pull off the effect IMO. :)

But may have to in this case. Nice links like the first one looks like I will need some proper time on it though I think to find the best solution. If I can't think of a work around. :)

@Tbwcf
Are if its possible then all I have to do is work out how to use it W/O the framework. :)
Will look into that as well. Thanks guys lots to check out.

Mucho appreciated to everyone, seriously. :up:

Back