Critique please

duarted

Hello all,

Im doing a friend a favour - im doing her album cover (shes been signed to a label no one knows lol) and i would really like it perfect! Can you comment on picture, lettering and design? thx!

Thanks for your opinions guys!

Attachments

• melodycover.jpg
    melodycover.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 53
I think the picture needs work - it looks quite flat and at the minute doesn't have the wow factor of an album cover.

I also think the word 'Melody' is too big and needs reducing in size. I agree that the cover looks very Eighties (instead of a modern version of an Eighties/retro style).

The difficulty with creating something quite minimal is that the photography and type has to be amazing and at the minute, it's not really doing it for me.

I think the picture needs work - it looks quite flat and at the minute doesn't have the wow factor of an album cover.

I also think the word 'Melody' is too big and needs reducing in size. I agree that the cover looks very Eighties (instead of a modern version of an Eighties/retro style).

The difficulty with creating something quite minimal is that the photography and type has to be amazing and at the minute, it's not really doing it for me.

yes the 80s look is dliberate. what would you think needs changing/adding? thanks a lot for your comments :icon_biggrin:

Hi There,

What style of music is it? What's the album/single all about? These things amongst others are going to have a lot to do with the style you decide to go for.

Hello all,

Im doing a friend a favour - im doing her album cover (shes been signed to a label no one knows lol) and i would really like it perfect! Can you comment on picture, lettering and design? thx!

Thanks for your opinions guys!

i think the design is very cool, the wide white lines seem a bit unfinished - perhaps if they were slighty transparent o r at least the thicker ones?

I like it but it doesn't quite "do it for me". I think the picture could maybe pop a bit more, maybe look at the levels and give it some serious contrast and dark tones. And the lines just don't seem quite finished / right to me, almost like an after thought.

Sorry that sounds all a bit harsh; just chucking my two-pence worth in :icon_smile:

I'm guessing her name is Melody and the album title Bohemia? For me the white text Bohemia has more emphasis than Melody, and is somewhat confusing as far as the artists and album name go. At the minute it feels like her name could be Melody Bohemia.

I agree about the image too, it is very flat and at the minute the individual elements don't seem to tie in together. The type, and the lines all feel like they are floating 'above' the image.

I think the photograph is a poor shot to work with. Its not very high quality in terms of sharpness and the pose of her elbow and the shape it appears to show is very awkward.

I also agree with the other posts about the unfinished lines and the image being too flat.

If I was you , I would source or take another photo to work with.

Target Market

Make sure the design matches the music style and target market is my best advice.

For instance this looks very 80s as has been mentioned, so I'd be expecting to hear maybe funky 80s electronica pop modern style?

If she sounds more like Katy Perry, this is off base obviously :D

Amanda

Back