Critique my illustration

I'd even move the text further down. It doesn't have to be precisely in the middle of the 2 figures.

Try a thinner font for the name - even a different font.

But it shouldn't really distract from the title.

I think the title in the middle of the composition will work, as it divides the viewers attention evenly between the onlooker and the hanged person, setting up a more dramatic feel, as the viewer initally sees the onlooker, and the sees the person coming on the scene.

Usually the reading order is left and right from top to bottom, so adding the text to the middle of the composition gives a natural break to the eye in the composition, being a bit dramatic with how the story unfolds on the front cover.

It's kind of my fault that I didn't think to that when I start to draw the illustration, I know.

Hit a book store and divulge all the covers of all the books, pick up ones similar to your composition, how did they tackle the problem?

Research is key to these issues, and you don't have to copy another solution, just use them as examples of how to solve a composition problem.

Honestly, I think it looks ok. I quite like the first one too, but the author needs to be same width as the title.
What's it like with the author at the bottom? Like i say, I think the overall shape should extend at the bottom a bit, giving you more room.

Hello,
Maybe if you try to integrate the font with the illustration and play with colors?

I hope you don't mind but I took your image and tried something.

It is just to give you an idea.5f626163953165.5bfea83717c4c.jpg5f626163953165.5bfea83717c4c copy.jpg

The only thing I see and wonder about is how did they get him so high up in the tree?

And why has the other figure got a stake through his torso?

I do think you're treating the text as something to ADD rather than incorporate. The text should be PART of it not slapped on at the end. Did you include the text when you were thumb nailing the illustration?

OK... my OCD when it comes to '3D' is kicking in... the title text is not using the same 'perspective' as the 3D book in the images above this..

As to the original, in all honesty it's not going to work while the 'focus point' of the image is in the exact location that most people would be looking for the title and author. It does kind of feel like you've designed the image and are now trying to fit the text to the image rather than working on the overall layout first so you could integrate the design from the start.

To me your design skill is really nice and color choosing is so perfect, and I think you can use Halloween type or scary type fonts which can be give an extra depth of the design, it just an opinion. Overall quite well design.

Hello,
Maybe if you try to integrate the font with the illustration and play with colors?

I hope you don't mind but I took your image and tried something.

It is just to give you an idea.View attachment 6626View attachment 6627
This last one is great it has a great ratio related to the illustration i think if u get "Hanged" a little bit lower away from the policeman and kind of merged with the mist! it would be perfect.

Back