Critique & Letterpress Advice

davewill

Hi guys, Im getting very close now to getting my Save the Date cards printed. Ive changed the design slightly since the last version I showed on here to make the card A6 in size. This is to save on costs and make it easier for us to find an envelope to match.

Due to the change in size Ive had to re-arrange some of the elements on the design so Id appreciate any feedback on the overall balance and structure. I dont want it looking too gappy (the previous design was narrow so theres a lot of new space now with the changed to A6)

Also, we are planning on getting the design letterpressed. The printer has suggested just letterpressing the words Amy&Dave but I imagined all of the navy blue to be letterpressed. Our printer has also suggested getting rid of the grey gradient and blind debossing the white snowflakes around the base of the design.

I have no experience with this kind of printing so what do people think? Would white snowflakes on a white background look good when blind debossed? And should we just letterpress our names or the whole thing?

Attachments

• A6 Final STD.jpg
    A6 Final STD.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 25
ask for a sample!

I'd go out on a limb and say, if they think doing x works better than y, they know their print process well, I'd place faith in them.

mrp2049 said:
I'd go out on a limb and say, if they think doing x works better than y, they know their print process well, I'd place faith in them.

Agree!
Printers generally know what will work best, and I imagine even more so with something like letterpress. One other thing you might consider/ask about is a plate sunken border for the border you have in the blue, something like...

28.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the end result Dave (before anyone quotes me & says that I'm expecting a Save the Date card - I'm not... just an invite's fine :p)

Thanks for the help guys. I had a great chat last night with the printer we are using and talked over stock, finishing, letterpressing, debossing and colour. I have decided to take off the white snowflakes all together as they arent crucial to the design and to deboss them would only add to the cost. I have also decided to keep the gradient in the background as it holds the whole design together, without that everything on the page just floats.

So I sent off the artwork this morning! We have gone for a 300g Somerset A6 card with all of the navy blue printed as a Pantone 655 C and letterpressed. The grey gradient will be printed first digitally today then the letterpressing will take place next week. Our printer has also included envelopes in the price which is great, cant wait to see them!!!

Edit: Don't worry Greg, you're top of the list ;)

Good to hear Dave! Fingers crossed they come out as you hope, I'm sure they'll look great :)
Don't forget to post a pic up once you have them!

Back