Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Criticism

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by br3n, May 8, 2009.

1. br3n

br3n Senior Member

Ok so its safe to assume we've all showed work and at some point in time had some pretty harsh criticism, you try and label it as constructive but still it gets through and niggles at your mind - usually it becomes constructive and you make an effort to fix your ways but even so..... While reading through some interview tips/techniques I found this gem of a quote and it really rang home. Hopefully someone finds it as inspiring and reassuring as I did.

'Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.' - Aristotle

(no wise cracks criticising this post please :)

2. Wonderful quote there by Aristotle, Brendan :)

3. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

I like that.

Cheer Bren.

4. Greg

Greg Active Member

Not quite as snappy as your example Bren, but inspiring all the same...

5. that looks like something that Muhammed Ali would've said :)

6. eneyekay

eneyekay Member

Aristotle was wrong... my missus would criticise me if i said nothing and especially did nothing!

7. br3n

br3n Senior Member

But if you were nothing you wouldnt be there to criticise... I'll leave it upto you to decide if that would be a good or bad thing for her :p

8. :lol: I hope she doesn't read this :lol:

9. eneyekay

eneyekay Member

i take it by 'nothing' you mean ceasing to exist :p ? ... in which case it's true... and for me, that'd be neither good nor bad as it wouldn't affect me... however if i was a nothing and had a crap job or no job and had no money, i'd very much be criticised.

that'd be bad times!

10. eneyekay

eneyekay Member

she prolly won't but if she did, i know she'd agree!

11. berry

berry Active Member

''If it's shit, it's shit'' BB Plato

12. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Lol my teacher always said "If you don't do anything, you can't do anything wrong." :D

13. I think a small green Muppet once said "Do or do not.. there is no try"

14. eneyekay

eneyekay Member

I read a referee said, or quoted someone, in the Metro "Show me someone who's never made a mistake and I'll show you someone who hasn't done anything".

15. berry

berry Active Member

I use constantly use, " A man who didn't make a mistake didn't learn anything"

16. br3n

br3n Senior Member

here here.

17. MattHill

MattHill Junior Member

Right, I promised to start taking part here properly, so here goes my first proper post! :)

If we're not prepared to make mistakes, then we can't expect to create anything good.

Criticism comes in many forms and I think as designers it's difficult to get a good balanced mindset about it. Constructive criticism is always useful, but that doesn't stop us from sometimes taking it personally. I think with age we can develop a "thicker skin" about criticism and really use it to help us improve.

However, if someone says to me "that sucks" or "I don't like it" but can't articulate why, it's down to me to help them tell me why they think it's bad. If they really can't do that, even after prompting, then I ignore them. An unqualified criticism is worthless.

I know that when I was younger I took criticism quite personally; but these days I'm much better at listening to constructive criticism. I can take on board what people say and argue my point if I think the crit is wrong.

18. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

Yoda is more than a muppet!