• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Ok so its safe to assume we've all showed work and at some point in time had some pretty harsh criticism, you try and label it as constructive but still it gets through and niggles at your mind - usually it becomes constructive and you make an effort to fix your ways but even so..... While reading through some interview tips/techniques I found this gem of a quote and it really rang home. Hopefully someone finds it as inspiring and reassuring as I did.

'Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.' - Aristotle

(no wise cracks criticising this post please :)

Not quite as snappy as your example Bren, but inspiring all the same...

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

But if you were nothing you wouldnt be there to criticise... I'll leave it upto you to decide if that would be a good or bad thing for her :p

Nik said:
Aristotle was wrong... my missus would criticise me if i said nothing and especially did nothing!
:lol: I hope she doesn't read this :lol:
br3n said:
But if you were nothing you wouldnt be there to criticise... I'll leave it upto you to decide if that would be a good or bad thing for her :p
i take it by 'nothing' you mean ceasing to exist :p ? ... in which case it's true... and for me, that'd be neither good nor bad as it wouldn't affect me... however if i was a nothing and had a crap job or no job and had no money, i'd very much be criticised.

that'd be bad times!
I read a referee said, or quoted someone, in the Metro "Show me someone who's never made a mistake and I'll show you someone who hasn't done anything".

Right, I promised to start taking part here properly, so here goes my first proper post! :)

If we're not prepared to make mistakes, then we can't expect to create anything good.

Criticism comes in many forms and I think as designers it's difficult to get a good balanced mindset about it. Constructive criticism is always useful, but that doesn't stop us from sometimes taking it personally. I think with age we can develop a "thicker skin" about criticism and really use it to help us improve.

However, if someone says to me "that sucks" or "I don't like it" but can't articulate why, it's down to me to help them tell me why they think it's bad. If they really can't do that, even after prompting, then I ignore them. An unqualified criticism is worthless.

I know that when I was younger I took criticism quite personally; but these days I'm much better at listening to constructive criticism. I can take on board what people say and argue my point if I think the crit is wrong.