Credit Card Charges

• Thread starter Stationery Direct
  • Start date

Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct

Administrator
Staff member
As some of you may have heard you can no longer charge customers a surcharge when they pay via credit cards, this is something we used to do as the profit margins we have just couldn't take this hit. Anyway, we had to rush to remove this code etc from our site and we abide by the law once again.

So why when I go to renew my car tax today and pay via Credit Card there is a £2.50 surcharge applicable? Surely the government aren't using some sort of loophole to get around their own new law? :mad:

Paul Murray

Paul Murray

Staff member
That may have changed now. I can't pay HMRC via credit card because of the charges. Apparently they are paying them using tax payer money so I would expect that to change too in time.

The real question is why do you pay less for taxing a vehicle for 12 months rather than 6. I thought the tax was a flat price dictated by the vehicle emissions, so why is there two prices?

Paul Murray

Paul Murray

Staff member
Well that sounds about right, probably a nice little source of additional income for them. I'm still feeling the sting from HMRC not accepting credit charges. Now I have to like, actually put money aside for tax and not use it to, ya know, live! :cautious: