creativeTin Logo

dbandimere

This is a logo I am contemplating for my design business.

I wanted to create a quirky logo with a simple character. However, we don't want it too quirky to turn off clients.

I would appreciate any comments, good or bad, harsh or complimentary to improve on the design.

creativetin.jpg

Thanks For Everyone's Help!

Hi
Im not really loving the character too much. I think it looks like an oven and could be used for British Gas. Thats just my opinion. Others may think different.
i like the font you have used though.
cheers

Hi,
I love the name.... but hate the logo.
What is the character suppose to be? Is it a Tin/ House?
I'm unsure why you want a quirky character for a serious business proposition. It would/has turned me off straight away. You can do a lot more with the typography, name first, graphic second.

It feels to me like the logo has been made from clipart and not really thought about at all :( very dissapointing with such a fun sounding name :)

I was about to mention the clip arty look also, I think gradients colours look bad when applied to type also.

Naive, i think is the best word to use for this combination of design and company name/branding.

From biscuit tin, we get creative tin . . . because you are creative, living in a tin?

Seriously, to have the word 'creative' in a name already says the wrong thing. Look at the forefront of design agencies and how they go about branding/naming their companies.

EG.

Accept & Proceed
Made Though
Graphic Thought Facility
Saturday
Non-Format
No Days Off

These names generate though and are so intriguing that you want to look further into what they mean/do.

These names are 'creative' without using the word that in our day and age is VERY over used.

As for the design, read more books on typography and go though the Dos Logos book then pick element you like and that link to your company then tackle the problem again.

Your brand needs a philosophy not just a gimmick. Find what you stand for and Study it.

Hope this makes sense.

xxx

like the name "no days off" very nice idea :) :lol:

13faces said:
Seriously, to have the word 'creative' in a name already says the wrong thing.

These names are 'creative' without using the word that in our day and age is VERY over used.

Not sure many 'creative professionals' will agree with that...

I feel the name will work well if reinforced with a strong visual message

charles said:
Not sure many 'creative professionals' will agree with that...

I feel the name will work well if reinforced with a strong visual message
the word is like the kings of leon newest album.

Overused and overplayed and certainly not creative and most defiantly has lost all credibility to what it actually means.

No 'creative' professional would disagree with that . . .

Thank You all for your feedback! I will go back to drawing board and come up with a different style.

I appreciate the detailed information everyone has provided me. You all confirmed my gut feelings about the logo.

13faces,
You mention the book Dos Logos. I see there is a Trilogy of books. Do you rate those books as a must have? I have not seen them before.

Thank You,
Dustin

13faces said:
t
Overused and overplayed and certainly not creative and most defiantly has lost all credibility to what it actually means.

No 'creative' professional would disagree with that . . .

I have to hold my hands up and say I was responsible for launching the word Creative upon the millions of fledgling design companies out there.
When I set Armadillo Creative up nearly 5 years ago, me and Lee sat in my kitchen and set about coming up with a name in 2 hours. We did - hence Armadillo.
What we didn't have was a descriptor of what we were. We knew what we were not. It wasn't an Advertising agency or web or design or communications etc. We settled on Creative as that was in essence what we were, 2 true Creatives with 40 odd years in the business.

We thought that was quite unique then, Up until then that tag was never used as a company descriptor, only as an internal reference to the agency department. Now every man and his dog is so and so..Creative.... It is so overused that 3 years ago we took it off our stationary and brand to distance us from the flocks.
We are known as nationally and regionally as Armadillo Creative but visually we are just Armadillo.
Unfortunetley it has devalued as a word and it now has the opposite effect. When i see the term or word Creative I wince. ( I should have trademarked the useage!)

dbandimere said:
Thank You all for your feedback! I will go back to drawing board and come up with a different style.

I appreciate the detailed information everyone has provided me. You all confirmed my gut feelings about the logo.

13faces,
You mention the book Dos Logos. I see there is a Trilogy of books. Do you rate those books as a must have? I have not seen them before.

Thank You,
Dustin
They are all worth getting, although if you have limited funds just get the orange one (second edition)

another way is go to Behance.com and type in logo, typography in the search and have a look

also invest into a book on the study of typography and composition and dont opt using just a normal typeface.

And write down in 100 or less words what your company is all about. Your philosophy is key.
If you are having trouble then you need to study a little more and find out what you really want to do/ where your company is going.

Again, look at the design companies and what they say about them selves.

And dont over complicate your own identity because your work needs to speak volumes not the identity. . . .

Much love and good luck.

Back