Creating VHS-like lines effect in photoshop

JJK

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to replicate this linear VHS effect. Screen Shot 2015-11-22 at 15.32.50.jpgScreen Shot 2015-11-22 at 15.33.23.jpg

Was this effect made originally by scaling up a smaller video or is this an effect from a specific type/quality of VHS video?
I don't have the means to replicate it using tape it self so was wondering if anyone knows of:

1. A way I can get this effect in photoshop for a static image
2. A way to create the same effect for moving image in after effects or whatever software works (preferably after effects so I can transfer things across if needed)

I have found a couple of tutorials that may work but they seem to produce a more 'clean' effect whereas I'm looking for this softer analogue look.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

Firstly - googling this brings up a tonne of results.

Secondly - I know you said you've tried many tutorials, but which tutorials? What works for you, what doesn't? What have you tried, what were your results and can you post what you've done, and explain more about what you'd like to achieve?

Not being funny - but you really seemed to have given up on this and just post it here and hope someone does the leg work for you???

No way - post your work that you've done to date and we might be able to help you move closer to the result you want.

Not to be harsh, but it's Monday morning and I'm on my first coffee.

Secondly - I know you said you've tried many tutorials, but which tutorials? What works for you, what doesn't? What have you tried, what were your results and can you post what you've done, and explain more about what you'd like to achieve?

Not being funny - but you really seemed to have given up on this and just post it here and hope someone does the leg work for you???

No way - post your work that you've done to date and we might be able to help you move closer to the result you want.

snickers_bar_new_zpse0c30424.png

Ok yes your right there is a lot of info about this on google. Sorry if it 'seems' that way but I haven't given up looking. I'm simply trying to save some time so thought I'd quickly post something here in the hope that maybe someone out there has had a similar problem and can point me in the right direction.

Again, what I'm looking for is just a realistic VHS style TV scan lines effect that produces results similar to the soft analogue looking lines above. I'm trying to find a way that doesn't produce a clean/ digital effect. So not like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLf2TXNyvV8&index=130&list=WL

I don't expect anyone to go out of their way for this but if anything comes to mind that'd be great. If not, thats fine, I just thought I'd put out some feelers. There is no obligation to reply and no need to get offended. Please don't waste your monday on my account.

No problem at all - I understand where you're coming from - a lot of times I can respond with "There's a tutorial here, and another one here" and then the response is usually "I've already looked at that so that's no help". Where I couldn't possibly know where you or others have looked before.

I understand what you're trying to do and if I get time later today or tomorrow I'll take a closer look - not promising anything but I will look.

okay I'm going to take a different approach....
What exactly do you want to achieve it's all very well saying 'soft analogue' effect but honestly the last time most of us likely watched a video was 10-20 year ago lol. That original image is tiny too.

At a guess this is likely close to what you're after.... but more info is always useful :)

Scanlines are pretty easy, they're just alternating equal spacing white/black lines (scale accordingly) overlaid on top of the image and then adjusting the layer mode (can never remember which one but think it's overlay) and it's opacity/fill. In some cases adding a subtle Gaussian blur to 'soften the edges' can be useful too. You can also play with things like levels to make the difference between black and white less too.

If you want the glitching effect you need to do multiple layers and then do 'shifts' using the cut tools.

Back