creating my first font based on a chav theme.

appleaday

Whilst reading a book on type and seeing a link between human body shapes and font shapes, I decided it would be a fun project to create a font based on the society change and picked on part of society called chav's.

The outcome is still in the air and to be decided. I'm starting by doing a little research on chav's and trying to see where it could lead the design.

Mood board pictures attached.

Few little things that came to mind whilst doing the mood boards was the way words are shortened and terms like the following are used a lot ..

yaaa
init
babes
jel
love
tho

Some characterising that are quiet common;
Fake eyelashes,
gold chains,
trainers (casual)
tracksuits,
trying to appear rich,
standing out,
bling,
Tatoo’s, - tramp stamp

Any input like font's that people think are very trashy or things that could be incorporated in the design are very welcome.

P.s hope this is the right place for this post.chav-mood-board-1.jpgchav-moodboard-2.jpg

I think you should concentrate on something more worthwhile. Chavs are particularly English and the style differs from country to country, so you'd be creating something that's:

1 Extremely localised
2 A font that about .01% of the population would want.

Last edited:
I think you should concentrate on something more worthwhile. Chavs are particularly English and the style differs from country to country, so you'd be creating something that's:

1 Extremely localised
2 A font that about .01% of the population would want.

Font theme and styling is to be based on chavs not for them. As this project has developed the idea is creating a expensive stylish image that has a mark of arrogance or significant styling to it that makes it stand out.

Priyesh thanks for your links I found the mister cooper ice-cream logo video really interesting and could spend hours looking at the fonts on behance.

Many thanks for your push to think big and good links.

Priyesh thanks for your links, I found the mister cooper ice-cream logo video really interesting and could spend hours looking at the fonts on behance.

Many thanks for your push to think big and good links.

To start with I sketched a few ideas out, that involved a little bit of fun using a bit of graffiti styling to the shaping of the letters, whilst trying to keep a little arrogance. As I explored shapes and styling there was attempts to incorporate a boldness and uniqueness.

The sketches made me think the letters should be crafted to be mainly smart and normal and then a small tiny element of flamboyance and roughness or attitude.

The computer designs were just pushing the sketches further as I know the sketches are fairly weak and just exploring and having fun. Hopefuly the computer designs show how the font could have a bit more structure and power.

Advice and any ideas welcome.

sketches-chav-3.jpgsketches-chav-2.jpgsketches-chav-1.jpg

Font theme and styling is to be based on chavs not for them. As this project has developed the idea is creating a expensive stylish image that has a mark of arrogance or significant styling to it that makes it stand out.

I know it's not for them.

I'm guessing you're probably a student or someone new to graphics, but you really are wasting your time trying to design
a font based on something like a social group limited to one country.

Take note of what professional designers are telling you.

Back