Creating a website

Okay don't feel like that my fault for being a geek.
A global nav(igation) is your main navigation that is evident to the user on most of your pages for example ~

Home About us Contact us Pork recipes

Would all be prominent on all pages.
This lets the user quickly chose other categories/or pages from any page with in your site.

Now the other term you should know is local navigation.
Local navigation would be navigation that is only on a few pages. For example if you had a horizontal navigation with your main terms on (Global navigation), and the user wanted to click through to Pork recipes you would then want to show pork recipe categories but only with in the Pork recipes section of your site.

Down the left hand side you could then have ~

Recipe categories

Traditional Pork and vegetable recipes
Pork and crackling recipes
Pork and potato recipes
Pork and other meat recipes

As those recipes are local to the pork recipe category and are therefore not needed on the rest of the site.

Global navigation = Site wide
Local navigation = Category based (localized)

Yeah no worries.
Well there are lots of Ad companies out there, they put ads on your site and when a user clicks them you get a % of what that site has agreed with the ad company for every click generated.

So lets say I agree with Adbrite (An ad company), this is basic form mind, that I wont them to put my ad, a link to my site with a small description or an image ad, or a video ad linking to my site and they say fine but for everyone that clicks it we want 20p. They then place that link on your site and the ad will be related to your content, and I come along read your content and think okay like it. I then read their ad and as its about another site with similar recipes I click it you then get a percentage of that 20p.

Now some ads will be worth more, a pound + per link and the more traffic you get the more clicks thus the more revenue your site generates.

Some ad companies are ~

I always go with Adbrite TBH I would recommend them.
Hope that explains it enough, if not let me know and I'll do my best to clarify any parts. :)

Thanks once again really appreciate the time you have put to helping me. I understand the principles of the navigation just didn’t no the technical terms.
Now I think I need time to take away all the tips I have been fed and produce a site. Would really appreciate your opinion once I have something worth showing.

No worries sweetie.
Yeah when you have got a site up wack it up in the work critique section, only mention what you want feedback on if you want something specific and ppl round here will tend to stick to that, so don't be shy. : )

I don't check out the critique section that often any more but if you want me to take a look send me a PM when it's up and I will. But I'm sure others will give you valuable feedback as well. :)

Back