Creating a Team

easylancer

Hello to all, i would like to know if anyone interested in Teaming up with me to work on some open source applications in PHP and MySQL? I myself am a middleweight PHP and MySQL Developer with Javascript, HTML and CSS knowledge, looking to team up with others who have PHP skills and woud like to contribute to some open source projects.

Like what kind of projects?

I have taught myself PHP, Mysql, Site Performance, SEO, IA, Useability, Accessability, Flash, RegExp, XML, XHTML, Security, Apache, DOM scripting, AJAX and JS to good levels, but it would depend on the project(s).

I also only know PHP precedual so it may be a clash if it is OOP based, I am learning OOP but it is not on the horizon any time soon.

err, i'm not a beginner, but know some stuff. if it's a learning experience i'd love to, but if it's a full on resource with required knowledge from the start, I'd have to pass.

Hey Thanks for all the replies.

@Jazajay it is OOP PHP unfortunately, but if you would like to join and learn more from the project that would be good. The projects will be built upon CodeIgniter framework and code will be managed on Google Code.

@Everyone else, the projects i have on my list are a CMS and a Invoice Application. I have domain for both applications and names already. As stated these will be open source and everyone will get recognition for the work they do on the project. I will need to decide which open source license to use. These projects are aimed to be long term. The Goal of these projects are to create a team which will be able to develop applications quickly and also to learn new ways of programming. I will say i don't want to make a big Team, but preffer a small one that will put some time in as i have put in alot so far.

If you aren't confident with OOP don't be scared, i will help where i can and CodeIgniter is well documented.

@Tim, this is not related to the post, you might want to remove your email from your signature else spam bots will pick that up easily.

What a brillaint idea! I would love to say I'll join in but I know iddly squit php - Im just learning basics through CMS systems and implementing it into my own template which is going (NOT FOR ECOMMERCE THO ;))

Anyway, if there is something other than development work I could be doing - give me a shout!

Scared, you obviously have not met my Mrs, :D

I have already designed my own custom CMS, Shopping cart, intensive search function, so that should not be an issue.

Regarding the OOP I do have advanced PHP, which does go into a lot of detail about OOP but I just have not needed to learn it yet, I'll think about it.

But a few questions that do spring to mind, in the mean time ~
Why do the projects need to be built on a framework, why not from scratch?
Will there be any ads added to the project, or any other means of revenue?
How much contribution would you expect, a daily basis?
How much is already set up and how much needs to be coded to get it to go live?
Time frame until it is live?
How will the hosting and domain name be paid for?

Jaz

Hi Phil thanks for your reply, you are more than welcome to join as the project will need a designer at some point so if you good at that then welcome.

@Jazajay

Why do the projects need to be built on a framework, why not from scratch?

The reason for using a framework is that most of the core code would have been completed already we would only need to concentrate on features and not stuff like a php upload script and so on.

Will there be any ads added to the project, or any other means of revenue?
If based on just my decision, there won't be any ads on the project, they way i plan to make revenue from any of these projects is by promoting them to small businesses and getting them to use the app and we can charge for support. This would need some discussion with the people who would be in the team.

How much contribution would you expect, a daily basis?
1 hour minimal, if you can do more then its up to you.

How much is already set up and how much needs to be coded to get it to go live?
I would say i have the base of how the Invoice system will work and also the CMS. I am mainly working on the CMS at the moment, so it is more developed then the Invoice System.

Time frame until it is live?
I am looking into 4 months before a active Beta to be released.

How will the hosting and domain name be paid for?
Currently this has been paid for by me and i would continue to pay for it, if however revenue start to build up then it would pay for itself.

I will say there is no hidden tricks in the project, my main reason for doing these projects is to help me with development time on some projects i work on from time to time. I am sure it will speed up the way others work aswell by using the system.

I just realized that this would help deign forums aswell, since it would promote what members have achieved and get more users on here, since this will be a kind of Hub for the projects.

I'm not saying I'm totally up for it at the mo, but TBH the hosting I could do in about 6 months, from a webserver I would set up and secure my self.

Possible may need some towards having the dedicated IP and towards newer parts, however as it will be running it for my main site then i would not expect much TBH, nor would I be upgrading parts on a regular basis due to the down time involved, but would again go on how busy the site(s) became and thus server strain.

Any way that can be something we can discuss at a later date if you are intrested in it, it would be cheaper than probably what you are paying now, and if I decide to join, I have a lot on at the mo.

TBH file upload scripts I would prefer to write myself, mine is quite intensive and makes sure no dodgy files can get uploaded, took me around 3 days of writing it and testing.

The only other area of concern would be in using the framework code.
I have a complex about using other peoples code that can impact on server, and site wide security and or proformance.

How easy is it to see and change the code being used in the framework, if I can do a better job?

How much code is being relied upon via the framework?
Also what kind of CMS is it?
E-commerce?
Intranet?
Stock management?

Sorry for all the questions, but if I'm going to offer my time for free, I need to have a mental picture to actually what is involved.

Hey Jazajay, thanks for all the questions because i am sure the questions and answers will help someone else who is reading this post. Ok i will list your questions and answer them below.

How much code is being relied upon via the framework?
CodeIgniter is a solid framework and the core developers at EllisLab are the create of Expression Engine CMS which the next version is going to be build on CodeIgniter, so i am not worried about any kind of security issues with it or any lack of development since they have been doing well since the framework has been released. The framework will only be the building block and we will be the builders, so i am relying on the Framework for its MVC pattern and easy management of code. I don't want to start code from scratch as its much harder to manage and to maintain.

Also what kind of CMS is it?
At current it will be a simple cms which will manage website pages and filesystem, it will be made modular so that it can be expanded upon easily.

E-commerce?
This can be done within a module and not a part of core functionality.

Stock management?
This can be done within a module and not a part of core functionality.

I will make a list of the features that core will include and post them on here when it is complete, i will start working on the main website very soon. As i myself have some projects i need to complete first, one of which is relying on the CMS which i why i am actively developing it now by myself.

I don't want to start code from scratch as its much harder to manage and to maintain.
I personally disagree that keeping the logic seperate is hard to manage TBH, thats down to the use of organizational skill IMO.

For example you have your main fuctions in a seperate area and referance them when needed, each file is named accordingly ie db-access.php, for proformance cacheing, and for findability. The top of that file there is intensive information on it's use, but that is a mute point I suppose.

O.K well if you are intrested in me being a part of the team, show me a bit more and I'll make my mind up to if I can contribute or not. :)

Jaz

This is not dead so you all may know, I have decided to run with another project first which is my invoice application. I am looking for developers to work on this system aswell, I currenlty have the base application ready and i'm still pondering if I should make it open source.

Back