creating a small social network

philjohns

Has anyone got any experience? (seems silly as we KNOW Greg has!)

Ive been asked to come up with a plan for a website with the following:

- welcome page general content and a login/register area
- registrations must be authorised by admin before activitation
- each user gets a "My Profile" page having access to change their own details and make these details visible/not-visible to members
- admin section where all content/user info can be seen and edited
- users must be able to submit articles/news/announcements and pictures to the website but they must all be authorised by the admin before being published
- search feature to search members
- My Friends section where they can add people as friends
- events section that shows past and present events
- news section - shows articles, news and pictures submitted by users once authorised by admin
- image gallery (again, images only published once authorised)

I've taken a quick look at Buddy Press and Im taking a look at Mingle.

Got a feeling I need something a bit bigger though. Anyone got any ideas or experience?

I may also be interested in having someone get involved in this job with me too...

Phil

Hi Phil,

Im currently building something similar in my spare time at the mo. The only real advise I can give is to write down everything and plan out your time and plan-of-attack. Big project like these often have hidden features and requirements and implementing them mid production / post production is just a nightmare.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply Geoff,

Have you done a lot of development for it from hand? Coding specifically for your needs?

Phil

Yes, Im building it from scratch, simply because an off the shelf solutions are never exactly what you/I want.

Have you tried JomSocial? It's actually pretty good and really easy to adapt as it natively runs on Joomla! 1.5 so there's already a huge variety of extensions that can help you get a not so off the shelf feel.

Start with a large social network and annoy people until it's a small social network.

Back