Creating a brochure for print

awelch

Hi I am creating a brochure, which is on paper of 42 x 59.40 cm. I have previous versions of the brochure to use as a template. I am a web designer usually and I am doing this as somewhat of a favour but I would like to learn to do it properly. The paper folds up to A5 size sheets.

Should I use Illustrator, Photoshop or Indesign initially to create the page layout, rules, margins, etc

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

Use InDesign for doing this for sure. That said, what software are the previous versions of the brochure done in? If it's Quark then you won't be able to open the artwork in InDesign to work from..

Main differences to note between designing for web and designing for print is that you will need to set it up in CMYK and make sure all your images are of print quality (CMYK and 300dpi).

brochure

Hi, I received the previous brochure file back from the printer. It is in PDF though. I need to create some graphics for within the brochure in illustrator so I will probably create the doc in illustrator and then port it later into indesign.

Thanks for your help.

Because the brochure is being folded should I take this into account with the layout. There is only one fold though so it might not matter as much as a trifold. What is standard practice for this?

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

I'm not really sure what to recommend with regards to the folding as I'm a little confused as to how this will work, in your first post you say it folds down to A5 but in the second post you say it only has one fold...I would imagine a document 42 x 59.40 cm would need to be folded a few times to make it A5.

Are we talking one big page that gets folded down to A5 size therefore creating multiple pages or does the brochure actually have separate pages? Just thinking if its all folded then you may not even need to use InDesign as you won't actually have any separate pages...if that makes sense?

brochure

Yep, it's on big page that gets folded over into 8 rectangles. I am setting up a basic grid so each folded page has three columns. When it folds out it wants to look balanced as a whole for reading when unfolded. I have the old brochure and the problem with it is the readability of the text I think. Here is a link:

http://www.step-partnership.co.uk/sites/default/files/documents/STEP%20Forward%20Festival%202008%20Brochure.pdf

I need to segment keystage information onto separate sheets and on the flip side are partner logos and these want to be better segmented also. I have divide the page up with rulers on where the page will fold and I will go from there. I am only used to using a grid in web design so far so it is new territory.

Thanks for your help!

I personally would use InDesign for the layout as far as possible, even if it is all one page. Rather than laying it all out in Illustrator, I would've thought it might be best to make just the graphics in Illustrator and import them to InDesign and layout all the text etc there. Although maybe it's just a case of preference - stick with what you know.

That said, I've only ever dealt with straightforward booklet shape things, so go with whatever you think. Maybe go in and talk to the printers if possible - they've always been very helpful for me.

Ah ok, i get it now :D

Regarding common practice for allowing for the folds - i would speak to the printer (i assume they will be doing the folding?) as it will depend on the weight of the paper for example how much the fold will affect the individual sections. As a common rule i wouldn't put any important text too close to where the crease lines are going to be incase the text ends up on the crease line.

The choice of paper for this will be critical - you don't want something too heavy that will crack when folded ;)

Good luck and can't wait to see how you do!

Happy to answer any other question you have along the way :icon_biggrin:

You also don't want anything too thick so that it doesn't bulk up too much when folded. When you visit the printer ask to have some samples of the paper that you might print on perhaps in a couple of different weights and then try folding them yourself. You will then see if you need to adjust the panel sizes to accommodate the folds.

If you do use a thicker stock, make sure you have it creased properly, so it will not crack when folded. I would also personally use Indesign too, have a great preflight checker to make sure your images and colours are all print friendly. Best of luck.

Back